CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:
Gaining weight

I'm sure there have been several inquiries about this but looking for suggestions about gaining weight? I currently am 23 years old, 5'11" 155lbs I would like to get up to 165-170 solid. I would like the extra weight to help improve strength mainly. I've always been a hard gainer in high school couldn't get over 145 with sports lifting and protein shakes etc. currently I am taking a whey protein shake and eating a lot of peanut butter. Any ideas on foods/supplements to help with this?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Gaining weight

What does you daily diet look like, What does your weekly workout program?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
BMH

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Micah Gilmore View Post
I'm sure there have been several inquiries about this but looking for suggestions about gaining weight? I currently am 23 years old, 5'11" 155lbs I would like to get up to 165-170 solid. I would like the extra weight to help improve strength mainly. I've always been a hard gainer in high school couldn't get over 145 with sports lifting and protein shakes etc. currently I am taking a whey protein shake and eating a lot of peanut butter. Any ideas on foods/supplements to help with this?
I will take a guess you are still not eating enough. Even if you think you are.....
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Agree with Bill.
Start with 5,000 calories per day (macros of 50% fat, 25/25 protein and carbs) for 6 weeks, lots of heavy lifting, little cardio and report back.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
jeramy park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Agree with Bill.
Start with 5,000 calories per day (macros of 50% fat, 25/25 protein and carbs) for 6 weeks, lots of heavy lifting, little cardio and report back.
Are you recommending he eat 277 grams of fat and 312 grams of protein?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:

My diet consist of pretty much anything right now stick to meats(beef or chicken mainly) n veggies for supper, tuna or ramen noodles or peanut butter for lunch and breakfast I try to get eggs n bacon maybe some toast but if no time it's a bowl of cereal. Also snack on peanut butter or almonds throughout day. I am eating something the majority of day. Take 2 scoops whey protein everyday I get to train.

Typically get 4-5 sessions a week about a hour each which includes a warmup strength wod n conditioning wod (usually no more than 10-12 min), also walk my dogs about 3 miles a day roughly dunno if walking makes that much a difference.

I know it's not a clean diet but I am on a budget so I'm trying as best I can within my means. So 5000 calories a day is what I probably need?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeramy park View Post
Are you recommending he eat 277 grams of fat and 312 grams of protein?
He wants to gain weight. He claims to be a hard gainer.
I'm in my 40s and trying to gain 11 pounds for a weight class event next month, and I'm on a 4000+ calorie diet with the same macro profile.

That's about 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight for him.
Yes, it is a lot of fat - fat is calorie dense.
Carbs are not as calorie dense - although I do think it would be an interesting study to see someone try to eat 5000 calories worth of vegetables for a week, that person is not likely to GAO much weight doing so. However, he will lowly go through a lot of TP in the process.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
BMH

Profile:  

You are assuming a paleo diet. I am convinced carbs are a more efficient way to gain weight. If you want to add fat, pour olive oil on your rice. To each his own though.

OP it sounds like your eating habits are too inconsistent. I would suggest planning a head of time with meals you can heat up later. A rice and bean mix is what I use mostly these days as well as drinking quite a bit of milk. Protein needs to be 1.2-1.6g/kg. Excess is just used for energy or excreted through urine.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
jeramy park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Micah Gilmore View Post
My diet consist of pretty much anything right now stick to meats(beef or chicken mainly) n veggies for supper, tuna or ramen noodles or peanut butter for lunch and breakfast I try to get eggs n bacon maybe some toast but if no time it's a bowl of cereal. Also snack on peanut butter or almonds throughout day. I am eating something the majority of day. Take 2 scoops whey protein everyday I get to train.

Typically get 4-5 sessions a week about a hour each which includes a warmup strength wod n conditioning wod (usually no more than 10-12 min), also walk my dogs about 3 miles a day roughly dunno if walking makes that much a difference.

I know it's not a clean diet but I am on a budget so I'm trying as best I can within my means. So 5000 calories a day is what I probably need?
Do you have any estimate of your BF%?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
jeramy park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
He wants to gain weight. He claims to be a hard gainer.
I'm in my 40s and trying to gain 11 pounds for a weight class event next month, and I'm on a 4000+ calorie diet with the same macro profile.

That's about 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight for him.
Yes, it is a lot of fat - fat is calorie dense.
Carbs are not as calorie dense - although I do think it would be an interesting study to see someone try to eat 5000 calories worth of vegetables for a week, that person is not likely to GAO much weight doing so. However, he will lowly go through a lot of TP in the process.
I think maybe 5000 is a bit excessive. I think that maybe the OP should actually log his food for a week and calculate his total estimated intake. Often people overestimate how much they eat when they log it they find they are eating way less than they should. I am having a hard time eating 3400 cals a day. My macros are:
206 P
92 F
413 CHO