CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Todd Phillips

Profile:
What do you think of my current schedule?

The thing I am wondering about the most is the Power Clean aspect. I've been doing Lascek 70's big for a good while now (8 months minus a month or so from a surgery to remove my gall bladder) and this is my rearranged schedule..

The latest change/experiment is that I've combined Power Cleans and Deadlift into one evening.. I've read that it's ok to include Power cleans before DL... I've only tried it once so far and it seemed to be ok, though I understandably had a littlle less to give my DL's after the PC's.. Any thoughts? Should it be a full 3x5 of PC's if I am doing DL's after?

Monday: Squat 5 reps x 3 sets, Press 5 x 3, Chins/Pull ups 3 sets max reps
Tuesday: Conditioning (Hill sprints)
Wednesday: Power Clean 3 reps x 5 sets, Dead lift 5 x 1, Dips 3 sets max reps
Thursday: Conditioning (Hill sprints)
Friday: Squat 5x3 sets, Bench Press 5x3sets, Dips 3 sets max reps
Saturday: Conditioning (Hill sprints)
Sunday: Rest

My current strength level (41yo, 5ft 10", 200ish lbs):
SQ - 5x3 at 190
DL - 5x1 at 245
PC - 3x5 at 140
BP - 5x3 at 200
PR - 5x3 at 80 (weird persistent shoulder pain so have to go light trying to work back up slowly)

More info: The reason for the schedule like this is that my goal is to get back to playing Ultimate Frisbee on T and TH evenings but I've had an Achilles heel injury I am trying to let heal and I've had to take months off of Ultimate.. It's pretty much healed now and I am doing the hill sprints to try to get back into running shape for Ultimate..

I figured if I could move DL from Saturday to Wednesday, that would give me Saturday to push harder on the conditioning to get ready for bringing Ultimate back in on T and TH...

I am also trying (pretty much unsuccessfully) to drop some weight because I suspect that the 20lb gain in weight/fat is what contributed to me getting the heel injury in the first place.. (I've been doing mostly IF ala leangains)...

Also, I had a big realization a couple weeks ago that I was doing way too many warmup sets for my lifts and have started to make some good gains again because I have corrected that..

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited by Todd Phillips; 01-24-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Evan Phillips

Profile:
Re: What do you think of my current schedule?

Personally, I can't imagine sprinting three times a week with two days of squats in there. I wouldn't get stronger, and my legs wouldn't be getting the required time to recover.

Also, most proven programs have power cleans and deadlifts on separate days.. but I'll let something with more knowledge on programming chim in on that.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Todd Phillips

Profile:
Re: What do you think of my current schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Phillips View Post
Personally, I can't imagine sprinting three times a week with two days of squats in there. I wouldn't get stronger, and my legs wouldn't be getting the required time to recover.

Also, most proven programs have power cleans and deadlifts on separate days.. but I'll let something with more knowledge on programming chim in on that.
That could be what I begin to experience too.. Because of that, I am keeping the sprinting to 8x30 second intervals with 1.5min rests.. On T and TH I do my intervals at lunch so I have as much recovery time as possible before my lifting the next day..

Also, here's my progression for the PC's and DL's that I did last week.. I am wondering if this is reasonable..

PC - Warmups 80x3x1, 120x3x1, Work sets 140x3x5 then DL Warmups 180x3x1, 215x2x1, Work set 245x5x1