CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
What is the main difference between the VFF Komodo and KSO?

I understand the design is different, but does one have a different feel, thicker sole, better grip, etc.?

I would also like to hear about anyone's experience with either shoe. How might one ease into wearing them and not get shin splints (I currently have them, but do not intend to purchase VFF for awhile. I just want to get some info beforehand)
Old 04-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Doug Meagher

Profile:
Re: What is the main difference between the VFF Komodo and KSO?

I've got the Komodos and I love them. The sole is thicker in some spots (balls of the feet, heels) for more protection from road rocks, but it's still thin enough to let you know they're there. The sole has some design on it that I suppose does provide more "grip", but it's not like i'm doing much sliding around the gym floor anyway. The upper material is a little thicker too but if you, for example, miss a double under, you certainly feel it.

I've also got a pair of Classics that I bought before the Komodos and the biggest difference between the two was the ease of getting into them. It takes some practice... once they've stretched a little, getting in is easy. The Classics and KSOs have very similar soles. You'll be able to tell the difference between the two soles, but the experience of wearing them is nearly the same. (if that makes any sense...?)

As far as shin splints, you need to ease into the shoes. Do short runs for a week or two (100m, 200m) and gradually build up to longer distances. Add 100m or so per week. If you tend to stomp your box jumps, make sure you ease into them too. Also make sure you adjust your stride and use more of the POSE method. Heel stomping will not work with Vibrams