CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-18-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:  
It this mainly a personal preference thing, or is it better to work out in the morning (like 0500 hrs) or after a full work day (cerca 1800 hrs)?

Currently I've been aiming for evening workouts after work- but I didn't know if there was a "best time" to workout. When I was in my academy, we PT'd at 0500 every morning, 5 days a week, and after a full day of training, drills, class, etc, I don't think that given the option, working out after a full day would ever happen.

What do you all think?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I do my high intensity stuff at 0500 each day (CF MWF and swimming Tu Th) and have a second easier workout on some of the afternoons. I have an afternoon class of CrossFitters on MWF and I sometimes do a workout with them or I do some single mode stuff on my Computrainer, C2 rower or treadmill. I suggest you do your workout in the morning while you're fresh and full of fire. Maybe it's just me, but I find it harder to crank as hard at 1700 as I do at 0500.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #3
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:  
I experienced that when I was going through the academy, but I am most definetly NOT a morning person. Also I find that I am worthless in the evenings after a workout...so I guess I just have to try them both out and see what gives me better results.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:26 AM   #4
AJ

Profile:

I don't think there is a best time. Whatever works for you is best. If my only option was working out in the morning, I would be in pretty bad shape. I find the gym or the trail to be something to look forward to after a day of sitting in front of a computer. If I had time, lunch would be an even better option.

Two quick things to keep in mind. You're dehydrated and your muscles and tendens have shortened over the course of the night. You haven't eaten anything for 8-10 hours and are lacking fuel for hard training. Make sure to do something about that if you go with a morning option.

If you go with the evening option, be carefull how late you go. Sometimes it's hard to sleep for a few hours after a workout.

But do whatever will make it most likely that you can keep a consistent routine is the best choice. Do both if it helps.

Aaron
Old 09-19-2005, 05:13 AM   #5
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I do my workout first thing in the morning. I get done with my warmup about 5:00, 5:15 and then I dive right in. I do it coming off an overnight fast. Just a bit of water to push back the morning dehydration.

But that's me.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:00 AM   #6
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
I wake at 0700 and walk with my father for 30-45 minutes. I then go right to the gym for my workout with only some water or perhaps a little coffee in me. I workout in the morning for two reasons: 1) I rarely miss a workout this way, 2) I can sneak in a KB workout some afternoons.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:31 AM   #7
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I have tried both over the past year. Tough to say which I prefer, because each has pros and cons.

Working out in the morning gave me more free time in the evening, though I had to get to bed earlier and I had to eat a good dinner. On the other hand, getting to bed on time was a problem for me, so I ended up losing sleep this way and it affected my intensity.

Working out in the evening let me get more sleep, and didn't require me to make sure I ate the right foods for dinner in order to perform well in the morning. I was also more alert and warmed up after a day's work than just after waking. However, working out in the evening meant I got home around 1900-1930hrs most days, and ate a late dinner. This became a real problem because it basically meant I had no life outside the gym.

For me this is still a problem. I can't find a routine that is sustainable in the long term, that doesn't conflict with the rest of my life. I think the perfect solution would be to work out during lunch, but for me this would require 2 hours, including time to drive to the gym, warm up, work out, perhaps shower, and drive back to work. Maybe I'll talk to my boss...
Old 09-19-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
I prefer the mornings, not as early as everyone else, 0800-0900 in the morning and then eat. It gives me time to wake up a little, I'm hardly a morning person. Working out in the morning also allows me to work on other stuff later in the day, like the Rutman Mile or any thing else. If I don't workout in the morning there is no way I'll do more than just the WOD for that day.

Jeremy
Old 09-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
Jason Billows

Profile:
I'd think that the AM is best. You'll be working out with no or little food in your stomach which I prefer. I have also heard that the metabolic effects your body undergoes are much more beneficial if you workout in the morning rather than working out in the PM and then going to bed in the hours following.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I workout in the evenings. Either around 1900 when I am home, or 2300 when I teach (2 nights a week).

Sometimes my workouts don't get done until after 0000 - I don't know if that constitutes a 'morning' workout or not.

I am useless in the mornings. I usually don't wake up until after I start warming up my motorcycle.