CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Tony Stock

Profile:
How I lost 130 Lbs

I am new to the crossfit forums. I notice there is alot of good info on weight loss on here and thought I would share my story of how I lost 130 Lbs.

It took me about 1 1/2 yrs of work to go from 300 to 170. Here's how I did it.

I started out by simply looking at my calories. For the first week I just logged everything I ate and didnt change anything. Just by being conscious of what I was doing I lost 1 Lbs.

Week 2 I targeted about 1800 calories per day. I didn't really care where the calories came from as long as I was not hungry. I went to the store, looked at what seemed like every item they had and decided what I would and wouldnt eat.

I ate 6 times per day. That week I lost 3 Lbs. Most of my diet consisted of Chef boy r dee and that sort of easy microwaveable stuff. I didnt care about the macronutrient breakdown at all. I logged every bite of what I ate and never ate anything that I did not know the calories of.

I worked out every single day. Alternating cardio one day, weights the next.

After a few months of this and about 40 Lbs, I started follwing the principles laid down in Tom Venutos Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. This is an awesome resource that I consider indespensible to doing it right.

This helped me design healthier menus that would maximize my weight loss and retain my muscle, or what passed for muscle at the time.

I continued this until i reached my goal weight. It was actually pretty simple if you stick with it. Some good tips are as follows:

1. Log everything you eat.

2. Don't eat anything that you don't know the calories of. This included Moms home cooking, Thanksgiving, etc.

3. Stop drinking beer. It will kill a diet.

4. Workout everday and don't make excuses for not doing it. If you hurt yourself then work on another body part. The best workout I ever had was the day before I went in for hernia surgery. I hit PR's in Deads and squats.

5. Don't fool yourself into thinking that just becasue you workout that you will lose weight. You can lose without working out at all, you just have to adjust your calories. I myself like to eat so I workout everyday.

6. If you go more than 1 week without any weight loss then have a big cheat meal. This seems to stimulate weight loss.

I made my meals my top priority and they still are. If I am going out for the day I take food with me or I plan ahead what I am going to eat. If you don't you will chowing down on McD's before you know it and wondering why you didnt lose anything.

7. Don't think that organic and lowfat are the same as low calorie. They arent. They are both sales gimmicks. 40 Lbs on chef boy r dee ravioli and beefaroni is what I lost. I didnt start eating salad until 1 month ago.

8. People will sabotage your efforts whether they mean to or not. Just stick with what works for you and don't overthink it.

I finally got my Mom to serve corn without butter on it at Christmas. She is 80 years old and has never had it that way. She didnt know it could be eaten without butter.

What I basically eat is this.

Meal 1. Egg whites, turkey sausage, fruit
Meal 2. Chicken, Brown Rice, Corn
Meal 3. Steak, peas n carrot, Sweet potato
Meal 4. Chicken salad sandwich, pringles, fruit
Meal 5. Chili, salad. Carroll Shelby's made with ground turkey.
Meal 6. Turkey Italian sausage, fries, salad. Sometimes I alternat this with a Cheeseburger made of 96% lean beef.

Thats kind of the basics. I am bulking right now so I have added in Protein drink 1-2 per day, 2 yogurts, Cottage cheese. Some occcasional 100 calorie snacks. The basics stay the same. Chicken, steak, eggs.

I have found that this gives me a nice base that I can add to or take away from whenever i want depending on my needs. I also add in a multi vitamin.

It could be healthier but it works for me and that's really all that counts.

We all pretty much eat the same things everyday so why make it tough on yourself. I have eaten the above diet in different variations for more than a year now and I look forward to every meal.

You can do this if you try and are serious about it. Maybe this could help someone, I hope so. Best of luck.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: How I lost 130 Lbs

Tony, interesting post. Pretty basic and fundamental, but all-too-easy to forget.

I don't know if anyone else would want to do your exact food choices, but your items 1 - 8 struck me as pretty universal. #8 is oh so true. #6 is pretty counterintuitive, though.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
Tony Stock

Profile:

It does seem that way david but it works. I guess our bodies get pretty used to certain things, especially if we do them the same way every day. The cheat meal seems to kick start things and it helps mentally as well. It did for me anyway.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

What is funny is I would get deathly ill eating half of the things you list after giving them up because of the sugar rush.

I think you maybe focus a little too much on calorie numbers and too little on where those calories are coming from. Sounds a lot like a marathon runner I knew who ate Burger King 5 days a week and said "it is all calories in and calories out, as long as I burn them". He also complained about how he felt like crap all the time.

I would venture a guess and if you gave up the things that most of the people on the board would call bad (Pringles, brown rice, corn, grain items) and put in things not from this group, you'd find some interesting things would change.

A big cheat meal sounds to me more like an excuse to cheat because you didn't lose weight. I'm a universal believer that the body will figure out how much you should weigh (since gravity is really the only thing making weight an issue) and will adapt its composition (the real important issue, not weight) to the stimuli imposed upon it when backed by healthy nutrition. CrossFit is the stimuli most people here put on their bodies and many of the videos show what a "CrossFit" body is when backed by healthy choices in nutrition. My guess is that if you asked any one of the familiar faces on videos if they could do what they did eating canned beefcake every day, they'd give you a resounding "no".

While I am glad this has worked for you to lose weight, it sounds like you could do even more. You even say it..."it could be healthier, but it works for me". I'm confused, what is stopping you from making it healthier?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:50 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Tony;
Agree with David and like George's more to the point, points.
Since you're lurking on Crossfit boards, then you must be getting the drift on the methodology. Food is fuel to power us through the WOD. Zone, Paleo, IF fasting, etc are all tried and discussed to see how our bodies/workouts react, good, bad, ugly.
George summed it up pretty good, try tweaking the food intake, continue to train, and drink the Kool Aid (we don't count those calories)
BTW, awesome job losing the weight.
Jay
Old 08-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
Scott Clark

Profile:

Venuto's method is very good. It's amazing how so many people in the fitness community are terrified of starchy carbs and only eat them at certain times (mainly PWO) yet Venuto's plan calls for a starchy carb with nearly every meal. There are carb tolerance issues in some, but I think it's vastly overstated.

Congrats on your weight loss. I love hearing stories like this because it ruffles the feathers of carbophobes.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Tony Stock

Profile:

Thanks for your kind words. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, I just want to give people some food for thought and to let them know where I am coming from. I look forward to contributing to these awesome boards. I have already gleaned some awesome tips to help my Olympic lifts. Everyone seems really helpful and knowledgeable. I look forward to contributing where I can. I havent met a whole lot of crossfitters but the ones I have met seem sincere and down to earth. Great people.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

My guess is that with Tony's fairly massive weight loss needed, a "calories first and foremost" approach is needed (and most relevant). No one dumps those kinds of pounds without inducing a caloric deficit; Tony just chose to really focus on that issue as his priority.

My guess is also that he might have felt better with better food choices, but the experience of dropping a couple (or more) pounds every week was probably so good, he wouldn't care.

Once you're in maintenance mode, how good you feel (while maintaining), and how well you can build muscle at that weight become higher priority. I hope Tony at least considers some of the ideas around glucose control, etc., and tries for some "better" food choices . . . but I also know that we're all pretty much an "experiment of one" . . . if what he's doing works, good for him.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:11 AM   #9
Alicia Michel

Profile:

a 130lb loss is huge tony. i always admire people who lose immense amounts because it takes a lot. BFFM was also my first book and your post is reminding me that i should go read it again. grats again and i hope to see you posting some more
Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 AM   #10
Cal Jones

Profile:

Tony, congrats on the weight loss. Some sensible points there.
Yes, you can probably do a bit better by eating more lean meats and veggies and less starchy carbs. But what you've done so far is commendable. Keep up the good work.