CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-30-2006, 03:25 AM   #1
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Is it ok to drop a regular Olympic bar with bumpers or should you be using a bar made to be dropped from height ?

Old 11-30-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Mike Rosenberg

Profile:
Should be just fine. It would be even better if you use a platform or at least put down stall mats on the floor.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
Tom Taylor

Profile:
Kevin,
I second the platform/stall mat idea, no matter what kind of bar you use. Just remember on the less expensive bar to tighten the ends regularly as the more you drop the bar the faster they will come undone. Long term, investing in a good bar is worth it.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Kevin,

Most "Olympic" bars that are bargain priced really shouldnt be dropped regularly. The steel is not high enough quality to stand up to the abuse without bending, and the sleeves are not attached with a system that will prevent them from loosening and falling off when subjected to that kind of use.

There are several equipment vendors on here who sell bars that WILL stand up to that kind of use. York sells several bars, all the way from one which is I think around $200 to a very nice "elite" bar for I think around $600 which I have two of and really like. I sell a "crossfit" bar which will stand up to being dropped all day for years and will not break for $139, it isnt going to feel as nice as a more expensive OL bar but is certainly durable enough for a crossfit workout, as well as 2 models of more expensive OL bars that are very nice if you want to spend more money.

speaking from experience, a crappy bar is a real drag. buy the best bar you can afford, and you wont be sorry.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
I've got a couple of Glenn's "Crossfit" bars at my gym. I'm VERY pleased with these bars. Seriously, for $139 you absolutely can't go wrong. To boot, Glenn was extremely helpful.

York makes a quality bar as well and Allison Foreman is quite helpful.

Do yourself a favor and get a bar that's made for what you're doing.

(Message edited by john_seiler on December 05, 2006)
Old 12-06-2006, 04:56 AM   #6
Bill Ripley

Profile:
I will second the recommendation of Pendlay's crossfit bar. I have been very happy with mine.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
Travis Loest

Profile:
I just sent out my order for Glenn's CrossFit Bar, I can't wait for it to get in!!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Glenn's bars are excellent. If I ever sort myself out and get my gym going I am ordering a bunch of Junior bars some men's and women's bars and some "William" bars... (I can dream can't I)

Hows he doing anyway, he was at 15kg CJ when I was in WF? I was thoroughly impressed.

Oh and Rip has talked me into putting on some weight the goal is 180lbs... 30lbs to go!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:16 AM   #9
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Pierre,

William is doing great. Still clean and jerking around 15kilos. Jake Hillard (7 years old) just hit 35kilos on the clean and jerk, and Neiman, a litle girl with a lot of promise I think, just hit 39k as an 8 year old.

James Moser, who you didnt meet when you were here, just hit a 182k (402lbs) clean and jerk as a 17 year old, which I think is very impressive. He got red-lighted for dropping the bar after the lift, but it was a good and completed lift... he just took his hands off the bar before it had fallen below his waist, which is a no-no.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Glenn,
Is there any video of James performing that lift? I've seen him on Coach B's Site a couple of times.