CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
What is up with these guys?

http://www.velocitysp.com/

They seem to be pretty legit, but something just isn't quite sitting right with me. I am probably just a little paranoid of anyone with too much marketing.

They have a gym in my area (I drive past it every day). I wonder if I should stop by and play around a little bit.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I know the guys who opened the one here in Memphis, and my ex-g/f works for them. What's your question?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
Ron Nelson

Profile:
They've been in OC for quite some time. They are similar to PlyoCity and other trainer-intensive gyms. They work on developing young athletes using plyometrics, gadgets, and some o-lifts.
They are obsenely expensive, but parents flock to them as they promise to take their kid to "the next level." In south OC, they are populated with kids wanting to be the next Mater Dei, Mission Viejo, or Santa Margarita QB (think Carson Palmer, Matt Leinert, Mark Sanchez). They do a spot on the local HS sports show highlighting what they do using a local jr high QB (they were using some sort of stretch band for a 3, 5 and 7 step drop drill for QB's.
My daughter went to a similar gym but with better ideals and at a much smaller price (by ideals I mean the focus was on competing and being your best, not necessarily winning). She did bodyweight exercises, plyo, and agility drills. The advantage is she would listen to a trainer, whereas dad is routinely ignored. Actually, she enjoyed the training and we saw improvement in her skills in soccer and basketball.

So, bottom line, they do a lot of what CF does, but with trainers and at a premium cost. I guess it's all good if you can afford it and you need a trainer to correct you and come up with your routine.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:47 AM   #4
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Matt,

I was wondering what these guys were all about (hype, true fitness, etc). Just fishing for experiences. Ron helped somewhat. I was also curious to see if they have quality instruction (I could use some help with my O-lifts).

Since there is one in my area, they may also threaten my plans for a CrossFit East Bay in the future. . . mwahahahahaha MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, it is just so hard to pass up the opportunity for a good maniacal laugh.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Disclaimer:
Note that I have not trained at Velocity...but I've spent time in the gym, met the trainers, seen the training and heard all the in/outs and gossip.

Are they legit? Short answer: yes, depending on your goals. IMO they are NOT GPP.

Do they offer "quality" Oly lift instruction? No, not in my opinion...not any more than a regular trainer (at least here in Memphis). If you were to luck into a trainer at Velocity who had an Oly background you'd be OK, but otherwise they're nothing special.

They are, IMO, very overpriced.

They will do what they can to steer you towards group training...this generates a better ROI for them.

They are VERY programmed/regimented...there is the Velocity way and there is the wrong way. It's my understanding that customization/specialization is limited (even with 1-on-1 training). It's not a typical personal trainer situation where a program is developed ground-up for you...it's them taking the Velocity program and making slight adjustments to it. I would say it verges on cookie-cutter.

You are not permitted to exercise without supervision. So it's either in class or with a trainer 1-on-1...you can't just show up and work out.

Their adult classes are very detuned versions of their other programs.

There are some good things to say about them as well, particular in comparison to your average BB-type gym. They are all about enhancing athletic performance, not beach muscle. I admire that. Their trainers do all have exercise science degrees and quality certifications, so I give them credit there. The facilities are beautiful and the equipment is top-notch.

But their program sounds like it's overbalanced towards legs/core...lots of speedwork, quickness drills, etc. Little upperbody work from my understanding. I've had the ex (who's been training in their adult program for almost a year and is a triathlete) do a couple of CF WODs, and they've almost killed her...so clearly there's a problem there.

It's a franchise setup in the not-so-great sense of the concept. Let's put it this way...I think it'll be a cold day in Hell before you hit the web and see a Velocity workout being given away for free. CF is the open-source version of fitness, Velocity is part of the Microsoft mafia/monopoly.

Just my $0.02
Old 06-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
The chief performance officer, Loren Seagrave is a nationally recognized coach. He knows his _hit. On a coaching level I have no problem. He is just capturing a niche.

From my snapshot assessment, the programs are pretty cookie cutter. Every 12 year old male beginner gets the same program and progression. Most investment bankers driving their kid to the joint will not recognize this. Is it better than XBOX and nachos? Hells yes!

On a monthly basis I have calls from Mommies who want to know if I am a ‘SPEED’ coach. They have a 12 year old who will be in the NFL someday ‘if they can just get a little faster’

I have yet to find a young athlete who will not benefit from an increased GPP.

I have been training one of the best 3pt shooters in the city CrossFit style for 8 weeks. Here is what he sent me last Saturday. Remember, at no time have we practiced for the VJ, Long jump, 10, 20, 40 yard dashes.

May 28, 2005
Coach Rut,
Your workout has been great for my endurance and strength. My vertical has changed drastically from 27" to 33". It seems to be going up every week. The workouts are tough, but they are definitely worth it. I am finding myself mentally and physically stronger. Thanks for pushing me to the limits!

"THE MAGIC IS IN THE MOVEMENTS"
Old 06-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
bill fox

Profile:

My buddy is taking an adult Oly "camp" (4 nights and a saturday) at the south Jersey one in July. I'll report back.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Rut, I totally agree that Seagrave has his act together. I'm just not a gigantic fan of how I've seen/heard it's being implemented.

From a fitness/performance perspective I don't think Velocity and CF are direct competitors (I believe Velocity to be specialization, not GPP). From a "fitness dollars" perspective they certainly are.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
*An amendment to my original post...after browsing through the Velocity sites for individual locations, it would seem that several of them have trainers that are certified Oly coaches. The 2 guys I knew specifically were not...but they definitely do have more USAW certs than I thought.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:31 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Jeremy, the Velocity Sports in San Carlos is hosting the Norcal Open OL meet this sunday 6/5. I'll be there competing despite the fact that I've only been in the gym twice in two weeks!

Gabe Rinaldi is a certified OL coach, though I've never met him or know of his experience. I'll report back after sunday.