CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 AM   #21
Elliot Royce

Profile:
A few random points:

- it may be true that peak performance is earlier in life for many sports but unless you're a professional athlete, why is that relevant at all?

- I agree that a lot of people give up early. On the other hand, I've found at 45 that I do need to moderate my activities to keep injuries in check. At one point last year, I was doing boxing, CF, Olympic lifting, and hockey usually 1-3 hours per sport per week, and it was just too much.

- a lot depends on your own body and genetics. Think about those Scandinavian strong men. Not everyone can maintain that level of achievement but in relative terms you can certainly stay in great shape.

- as for an example, when I was in Germany recently, I trained with the World Masters Champ in O lifting for his age/weight. He was 60 years old and 67kg. His face was worn but he had the body of a 40 year old.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:24 AM   #22
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Thanks for all the replies.

With regard to the "unless you're a professional athlete...", that's what I'm talking about. As for me, I'm trying to become good enough to make the US National team in short track speedskating. And most people in that sport end up just falling by the wayside around 30 years old, but I believe that's because they're tired of their training being a full time job, and they want to start having a life. A lot of them don't even speedskate for a decade or more after they "retire" from the elite level. But speedskaters keep skating until the day they die, I've heard of 80, 90+ year old speedskaters.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #23
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Matt:

Sorry I didn't note your goal...I suspect that the variation in capabilities among people of a certain age is far, far greater than the variation by age. In other words, there is no excuse for not being an older world class athlete in most sports if you have the will and the body for it. It sounds like you are asking for permission to be great at your age. If that's what you want, then you've got it. On average, we do lose capacity as we age, but in specific cases the variation is huge.

I suppose if you are a world class 45 year old athlete and you're facing a world class 25 year old athlete, you might be at a disadvantage, but there is no reason not to go for it.

I think you knew this already.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #24
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Well, I would say "knew" it, but basically, I'm thinking a 37 year old athlete vs a 22 year old athlete, both at about the peak performance their body will allow, the differences in most sports (my sport especially) should be so negligible as to not make any difference.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #25
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
IMO the old guy can't compete only holds at the highest level of competition.

Top competitors reach such a level that not only can't old guys(and gals) compete but most don't have the genetics or will to be competitive at any point in their lives!

99% of humans are so far below what is possible for them that age is not a big factor for a long time. I am not blessed genetically but I think I will be able to do a one armed pullup and reach elite level performance on the old CF North stuff in 75% of the categories before I hit 50. I would say that puts me in the top 1% of the human race performance wise if I ever get there.

This would be better "overall" than I have ever been in my life. But, If I was 20 and had this goal (and more sense than I had at 20) I would smoke my 50 year old self.

getting old means potentially these negative things will decrease your performance to greater or lesser degrees:
-less recovery ability
-poorer hormonal mileau
-a lifetime of injuries (potentially)
-hopefully having a life, family etc
-probably less ego need to prove yourself(or possibly more?)
-probably something else my old memory has lost, where are my keys...

Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #26
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
IMO, it depends on the person's ability/talent and the sport. Not so much on age (although age does play a role in training/recovery)

Matt, your age will only hold you back if you let it. There's no reason you couldn't outperform that 22yo.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #27
Connie Morreale

Profile:
matt, smoke the dude and get back to us with a tesimonial.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #28
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Well I'm not 37 yet (10 years away), but to get to the elite level is going to take a few years (it sure as heck better not take until I'm 37, but I was using that as an example).
Old 07-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #29
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Matt,
There are 22 year old people in my sport who feel honored to beat my 73 year old father. And it doens't happen that often. He's still that good. It's all a matter of mind over matter.

All the best,
Arden
Old 07-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #30
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
When I competed at the 95 Olympic Festival, at 30 I was competing with 14-17yo's. One girl admitted to me that her mom said she didn't know whether to cheer for me (I was close to her age) or her daughter. :-) In a field of 12 I took third. Not bad for an old lady. :biggrinthumb:

(Message edited by vgcarp on July 18, 2007)