CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-16-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Luke Rossmo

Profile:
I see the following everywhere in the crossfit discusions: GTG. After some research on the boards i have come to the following conclusions.
1. It stands for grease the groove.
2. It somehow helps to increase repititions of an exercise.
My questions are, is this info correct. I would also like to know how it works, and how to best "grease the groove". Thanks.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Ash Sinclair

Profile:
Luke, Pavel Tsatsouline started the 'Grease the Groove' concept in his book 'The Naked Warrior'. you can check out his website www.dragondoor' .com (w/f safe) for more info.

Like any fitness/conditioning program there is no 'best way' that will work for everybody. Your best bet is to play around with a few different methods and find what works best for you.

I'm currently using GTG to build up my One Arm Pushups and Pistol Squats, partly because I'm rubbish at them and also to test the GTG theory out. The idea is you do multiple sub maximal sets throughout the day (never more than 5 reps per set). I'm currently doing a couple sets every 2 - 3 hours of both exercises but have only been at it a few days so I can't really tell how it's all going yet
Old 07-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:
If you want to grease the groove for less demanding exercises (pullups, pushups, etc.) than Ash's one-armed pushups and pistols, many people will do a few reps under their maxes every few hours, which is normally more than 5.
Ex: if the max number of pushups I can do at once is 10, I may do 7 pushups every hour for 8 hours (or something like that) Then, after a week or so, that should get easier, so you should bump up your reps per set to maybe 8 or 9. The whole idea is to get your body primed ("greasing") for these types of movements.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Matt Walz

Profile:
I never have used the terminology of 'grease the groove', but I have used the technique before.

When I first started working out to get in shape for employment, I was told that being able to do 10+ pull-ups was a must. Problem was I could only do 2-3 at a time.

Every 2 hours I would find someplace to do those 2-3 (a sturdy door frame, the edge of a winding stairwell, a ladder, or a pull-up bar of course). After 3 weeks I was able to do 8 pull-ups and just kept on building from there so that by the time I was tested a few months later, I was up to 13 and ahead of the game.

I found it less usefull for anything other than bodyweight exercises (although I know others disagree and says it has worked for them), but IMO it is a great system for breaking any threshold you may be stuck at.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Connie Morreale

Profile:
ben is correct. when your max number increases, you need to increase your "grease" number. the point is to stay just a few reps shy of failure.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Kellee Rassau

Profile:
Thanks for all the explanations, I was wondering about GTG stuff also! I'm working on push-ups and sit-ups for the Special Response Team PT test at work. And BTW, Matt, I love your avatar. Very nice.