CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Tony Colicchio

Profile:
Should I do SS????

OK, looking for some 2nd,3rd, 4th opinions....

I started crossfit in Jan. and have made some pretty significant gains. At this point I think that my strength is holding me back. Below are some times/weights for reference.

1mile run 6:00
2k row 7:00
500m row 1:30
Fran 6:02
Jackie 7:52

Deadlift 315#
Press 125#
Front Squat 225#
Bench Press 190#

I went from 230+ in January to 190 around May, back up to 200ish for a few months, and now around 195. I am 31 and 5'9".

Any time a long WOD comes up at our box I am normally on top. Today we did 21/15/9 squat cleans/SLDL/K2E, cleans and SLDL @ 95#. The guy I normally compare against finished in 8:25, and it took me 9:58. I am thinking about doing starting strenght for a while. Good idea? How long should I do it for? Should I base how long I do it for based on when I reach certain goals?

-tony
Old 10-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Should I do SS????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Colicchio View Post
OK, looking for some 2nd,3rd, 4th opinions....
Daniel: What do you think, Mr. Miyagi?
Miyagi: I tell you what Miyagi think! I think you *dance around* too much! I think you *talk* too much! I think you not concentrate enough! Lots of work to be done! Tournament just around corner!

See barbell. Lift barbell. 3-2-1-Go!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Miyagi: I tell you what Miyagi think! I think you *dance around* too much! I think you *talk* too much! I think you not concentrate enough! Lots of work to be done! Tournament just around corner!

Sorry Tony, Tamara gets like this sometimes. I'll translate for her:

Basically, what are your goals? It's all about what you want, but you need to really decide what you want and commit to getting it. Looking at your numbers tells me that you're probably right about strength being your limiting factor. Is your overall, long term goal to be a great CFer?

I'm biased, so either way I would say that with those numbers the novice progression as outlined in the book Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training is probably for you. Since you're 31, you may not recover as well as the program's ideal target audience (skinny, testosterone-ridden teenagers), but that's no reason not to do the best you can with it.

A word of caution: if you're going to do the program outlined in SS:BBT, then actually do the program outlined in SS:BBT. To the letter. If you think there's a reason why you should modify the program to account for being 31 and not 21, then a) you're probably wrong and b) head over to Mark Rippetoe's forums and politely ask his opinion.

But really, it comes down to what your goals are. So what are your goals?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
Sorry Tony, Tamara gets like this sometimes. I'll translate for her:

Basically, what are your goals? It's all about what you want, but you need to really decide what you want and commit to getting it. Looking at your numbers tells me that you're probably right about strength being your limiting factor. Is your overall, long term goal to be a great CFer?

I'm biased, so either way I would say that with those numbers the novice progression as outlined in the book Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training is probably for you. Since you're 31, you may not recover as well as the program's ideal target audience (skinny, testosterone-ridden teenagers), but that's no reason not to do the best you can with it.

A word of caution: if you're going to do the program outlined in SS:BBT, then actually do the program outlined in SS:BBT. To the letter. If you think there's a reason why you should modify the program to account for being 31 and not 21, then a) you're probably wrong and b) head over to Mark Rippetoe's forums and politely ask his opinion.

But really, it comes down to what your goals are. So what are your goals?
Hater.

But, yes. What are your goals? Decide...and then MOOOOOOVE. Do not spend precious time in internet-land asking for more opinions.

I, like Jake, am biased. You are fast. You are not very strong for your weight. So, yes, I would tell you to go get stronger. I don't care how you do it. And, if you do choose to do SS, take Jake's advice and do it to the letter or suffer the wrath of a thousand angry midgets...
Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
John Corona

Profile:

Quote:

Thank you for quoting the real Karate Kid and not that lame *** remake.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
Sorry Tony, Tamara gets like this sometimes.
Did you really say "sometimes?"

- Mark
Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Did you really say "sometimes?"

- Mark
I do have degrees of sarcasm . I'm a little fired up today.

But, last time I checked, no one got stronger or faster or less lazy from me holding their hand and emotionally bonding with them. Do work.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
I'm a little fired up today.
Yep, I've noticed. I've stayed out of the fray so far.

Quote:
But, last time I checked, no one got stronger or faster or less lazy from me holding their hand and emotionally bonding with them. Do work.
Agreed.

- Mark^3
Old 10-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Tony Colicchio

Profile:

My goals are to be able to do well in crossfit competitions. We have a local series that started this fall and I would like to compete next year in it. I have read through the book and understand that it should be followed strictly. Thanks for the feedback.

-tony
Old 10-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Tony Colicchio

Profile:

Quote:
I do have degrees of sarcasm . I'm a little fired up today.

I am not lazy, I asked for some feedback. Making this change is a BIG change from what I have been doing for the past nine months.

-tony