CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Random soreness won't go away

So I've got some soreness going on that I can't trace to anything specific, and it won't go away.

Last Friday (12/28) I went to my community gym and trained (bench and squats a la GSLP). When benching, I felt some mild discomfort in my shoulders, but nothing that prevented me from benching (or setting a PR!). I warmed up for squats and attempted 140 kg for 5 and only managed a triple. I felt a very slight 'off' feeling in my left lower back. When I unracked the bar for my next triple, my back didn't feel right, so I aborted the set, did a few sets of neck harness work, and called it a day.

My back stiffened slightly as the day went on, but it wasn't anything that wasn't manageable. My family and I drove down to Osaka from Tokyo (my brother-in-law was driving) that afternoon. Whenever we stopped, I got out to stretch.

After we got to Osaka, I continued to work mobility, and my back felt a LOT better, and I have no back pain as of writing this.

Unfortunately, my shoulders and outer hips became sore and stiff as time went on, and the soreness is still there (more on my left than right). I also developed soreness on my groin muscles (more on the left than right). My shoulders ache when I lift my arms up, especially in the anterior deltoid region, again more on my left than right.

At first I thought this was from a combination of sleeping on a really hard mattress and very soft (practically non-existent) pillow, but the soreness which started out gradually on Saturday grew worse. Today it felt better, but tonight it began to tighten up again.

Any ideas on what this might be, or what I could do? New Years in Japan shuts down a lot of medical facilities, so I won't be able to go anywhere until Saturday at the earliest
Old 01-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Random soreness won't go away

Try hot / cold baths and then a massage. Bet that will help
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Gave the contrast shower a run. Feel a bit better. I'm going to do another one tonight before bed.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

I would think a trip to one of those public japanese bath house would work. I remember the tubs were lobster pot hot!