CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Ralph Morden

Profile:
another shoulder post

About 5 years ago I crashed on my dirt bike and injured my left shoulder pretty badly. I was scheduled to attend to the police academy and I didn't want to put that off so I didn't do anything for it and suffered through all the p.t. To make matters worse I didn't even have physical therapy in my vocabulary. I always just figured my injuries would work themselves out, which most of the time they have, except this one.

Since that time it has been very unstable and often times very painful. I figured it would go away someday which most of the time it doesn't bother me at all, but I have been trying to increase weight in my Olympic and power lifts, which has caused lots of pain. High reps in push ups and pull ups also hurt after a while. Most over head stuff haunts me a couple days afterward too. Pain is living, but causing more damage would be foolish, which is what I think may be the case.

I have done some research and I think I separated it when I crashed, which isn't too serious, as long as you rehab properly. Lots of stuff I have read states if you don't rehab the injury properly right away it will cause serious problems later that can only be repaired through surgery.

I think the surgery is some kind of AC resection. They basically grind some bone off and let scar tissue build up. I think they also do some stuff with the tendons.

Sorry for the long post. Now to my point. Has anyone had similar issues and what is the story. Is it just pain, or am I really damaging myself further? Is shoulder surgery going to ruin Crossfit for me where I can't do any over head stuff, or would the surgery allow me to continue Crossfitting and continue improving my PR's?

And, yes I have violated my own ethical laws and scheduled a doctors appointment. I am just curious if someone out there has been through this and continued to Crossfit.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: another shoulder post

I am not one of the board's gurus on these matters, however, from your post it seems you still haven't been to a doctor to get properly diagnosed? So after 5 years, you THINK you have such and such issues? Heh heh. Get x-rays and/or MRI or whatever a good doctor prescribes and at least get a proper diagnosis before evaluating your options
Old 12-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Yes, you can generally do stuff after resections.

BUt who knows if that's even your injury (unless the pain is actually up at the AC joint and such).

We'll see. Make sure your doc appointment is with an orthopedic doc.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Ralph Morden

Profile:

Well I went to the Doc. today and got some x-rays. He said my joint was strong as well as the muscles supporting the joint. He gave me a referral to an Ortho. in Monterey who does shoulders. My Doc. feels the problem is a laberal (not sure if that is spelled correctly) tear. He said if that was the case the pain is from bone on bone friction and it is usually corrected by surgery.

He couldn't provide much info. on the procedure or its success rate. I'm going to have to ask the Ortho. that stuff when I get an appointment.

So now my question is, has anyone ever had a torn laberal (thing)? the Doc. said it is the gasket that the arm bone tracts in. I know I haven't been officially diagnosed, but that doesn't mean I can't feel people out who may have had similar or the same symptoms and ailments.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

It depends on the extent of the labrum damage how long you'll be out.

If you want something more concrete search the injuries forum for other threads.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #6
Ralph Morden

Profile:

Thanks Low. I found a lot of good info by searching past posts. I did that originally, but I didn't after I got the update from the Doc. Thanks again.