CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Phil Miller

Profile:
Lower Back Pain

This is much longer than I thought it was. I started crossfit about eight months ago. I love it. I ditched my normal weight routine in the afternoon and decided to go with CFF. My days look like this, 0500 Crossfit WOD, 0730-1100 work at my desk and then 1100-1200 CFF and finish out my day at the shop. At some point and time doing heavy snatch on the CFF WoD I felt something in my lower back twist. It felt like a lightning bolt shot through my back. I felt zero pain just a weird tingle. I have always been an athlete so thought little of it.

A week later doing 2 pood swings on the CF WoD I felt some minor pain in my lower back and toughed it out. Now after about 2 months of grunting through it I think I am really hurt. I went to BAS and they gave me some muscle relaxers. No dice. I went on my own for some acupuncture last Thursday and that worked wonders. Yesterday I was doing some power snatches again, much lighter than when the injury occurred and this morning my back is knotted up yet again. I skipped my morning WoD because it is my wife’s B-Day and she wanted to sleep in. (She is my partner in the morning) So no morning stretch.

Could it just be tight from not stretching this morning? I sleep on a tempropedic mattress. I am 6’5” and 225. When I lay on that thing I compress the hell out of it. Was thinking of putting a sheet of plywood under it to stiffen up the mattress. I am not used to sleeping on a really soft surface and now that the mattress is broke in, it feels much softer than when first purchased. I am leaving for TBS soon for the WO basic school and hope I am not injured when I get there. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Richard Lawrence

Profile:
Re: Lower Back Pain

I use one of those big inflatable aerobics balls to roll and stretch my back before every workout. I've always had back problems but this seems to help more than anything.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
David Reynolds

Profile:

Hey, i seem to always get low back soreness, spasms from snatches. Sucks, cause it is such an awesome movement, but lately everytime either during or after damn low back spasms up, anyway try foam rolling. Not with a true foam roll but the good foam roller from TP THERAPY. It basically is a large piece of pvc pipe with rubber wrapped around. Good luck
Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Where is the pain located (google a pic and mark it).

It's likely that you either pulled a muscle, herniated a disc or slipped an SI joint so..... I would get it evaled by a doc AND STOP DOING ANYTHING PAINFUL.