CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Adam Wander

Profile:
Lower Back Pain - Who/What Can Actually Help?

I have had lower back issues most of my adult life - I would occasionaly injur it playing sports or lifting weights which would cause spasms and pain for a day or two and then it would subside and everything would go back to normal until 12 - 18 months later it would happen again. I always chalked it up to over-exerting or something along those lines.

About a year ago I started doing muay thai and boxing and after about 3 months it happened again. Only this time it wasn't healing like before. I could still come back after a couple of days, but the pain/discomfort never fully left. I started to think that it was the twisting motion of the workouts I was doing. That is when I started to do Crossfit. For the most part, I was injury free doing crossfit - the daily discomfort in my lower back was still hanging around, but no re-aggravation (spasms, etc). That was until a few weeks ago when I messed it up again doing clean & jerks. I took a week and a half off and have been back at it. I now have daily pain and discomfort again.

My Issue: I never went to a doctor about the back pain until about 9 months ago when I injured it doing muay thai. Since then I have seen two MDs and a chiro. Both MDs offered pain killers and/or muscle relaxers and the chiro gives me an adjustment and puts me on an electric stim machine. I feel like no matter who I talk to they just give me a "cookie cutter" response. No body appears to worried about getting to root of my back problems - WHY is it hurting.

I was hoping that some of you fine folks could suggest a specific type of practitioner I should go to, a specific certification, etc.

Couple things which may or may not be relevant: I have extremely tight hamstrings (can't sit on the floor with my legs out straight, not even as a child); and my left hip (the pain is generally on the lower left side of my back) will pop if I lay flat on the floor, pull my knees to my chest, and then straighten them back out (I only know that because it is stretch I do multiple times per day).

Sorry for the long post...
Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Mike Mallory

Profile:
Re: Lower Back Pain - Who/What Can Actually Help?

CHEK Practitioner, especially if your in San Diego..........They can get the job done fully, and will also help you with finding outside help if necessary-

Level 2 or above
Old 08-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Adam Wander

Profile:

Thanks, Mike. I will look into it.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Brad O'Hara

Profile:

Ive had a similar problem-
For approximately the past year, I have had pain in my lower back. It is actually on the right side of my back only, right behind the love handle area and right above my right buttock. I believe this started in weight training doing "back squats".
Ever since, it has come and gone, coming on when I have played basketball and football and doing certain exercises such as back squats, front squats, and overhead squats. I have learned great form by now in these exercises from research and coaching, so I do not think bad form is the issue.
When playing basketball and football, I have noticed that this pain comes from jumping and landing at slightly awkward angles. Ive got no idea what is wrong here
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

See a physical therapist.

Quote:
I started to think that it was the twisting motion of the workouts I was doing.
If this is true you may have a misaligned vertebrae which is messing with your movement patterns and proper musculature response... generally leads to tightening and spasming

Honestly, chiro guy should've caught it if he was competent.

You need to loosen up your tight muscles with stretching... try PNF.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Adam Wander

Profile:

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Hopefully I can find someone to get to the bottom of this.

It isn't the physical discomfort that bothers me as much as the frustration of being held back from doing what I want (and need) to do.

I have also found some information on egoscue exercises/stretches that I am going to try out on my own. I will let everyone know my experiences and any results that come from them, so that maybe I can offer some guidance to others.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Melissa Whittle

Profile:

Hey Adam, have you seen a massage therapist at all? Psoas issues can definitely trigger lower back tightness and spasms:

http://stronglifts.com/the-psoas-is-...ing-your-back/ (w/f/s)

You might try a good psoas stretch and if that seems to release some of the tension in your lower back, then you know the psoas is involved. If there are significant knots in the psoas you will need to get them released, because there is only so much that stretching will do when you are all knotted up.

Good luck! Report back if you find something that works for you.