CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Paul Kudela

Profile:
Front Squat form check

Started front squatting a few weeks ago. I have quickly gotten to a max of 205. Before I go any further I would appreciate a critique on my form. Please be brutally honest!

I know it looks like i am holding the bar up with my hands, but it is entirely resting on my upper chest/should area and I am using a standard front squat/clean grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEDkuQifts

Last edited by Paul Kudela; 09-27-2008 at 09:46 AM..
Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Graeme Howland

Profile:
Re: Front Squat form check

Hi,

I'm a novice to the front squat as well (started a month or so ago) so my advice may not be the best. A few things I noticed, you could work on getting your elbows a lot higher, at the start and throughout the range of motion. You are leaning a bit forward at the bottom, and part of this is because your elbows are low. If you get elbows high it will help you maintain a more vertical torso, keep weight on your heels and a tighter lumbar curve making you a lot more powerful on heavy weight.

I can't see your hands but are you using all fingers on the bar? If so try using just your middle 3 fingers (that is what I do since I'm not that flexible) to hold the bar on your front delts. Also, try raising/pushing forward your shoulders a bit to get the front delts out for the bar to rest on. It should not be on your chest but rather your front delts. Ideally, you should be able to remove your fingers/hands from the bar and have it just resting on its own (stick hands straight out if you want to try it). This and elbows high is especially important for me since my clavicle (collar bone) sticks out about an inch on one side from where it healed from a break a few years ago. Because of this it is extremely painful and causes bruising if I let my elbows drop and the bar rests on the bone (e.g. 185lbs hurts a ton if my form is bad, so I'm working up, at 150lbs 5x5 now, max back squat has been 315x5).

Loving this exercise though.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Herm Blancaflor

Profile:
Re: Front Squat form check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kudela View Post
I know it looks like i am holding the bar up with my hands, but it is entirely resting on my upper chest/should area and I am using a standard front squat/clean grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEDkuQifts
Contrary to what you said, you are holding the bar up with your hands. You need to get your rack position correctly. Get those elbows up to the height of your shoulders, or else that bar will keep feeling heavy in your hands.