CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:
Workout in dorm room

Hello once again. I was just wondering what you guys believed would be a good workout to do in the dorm room. Sometimes I don't get enough time to go to the workout room to get the WOD done. (9/10 times I do.) I was hoping for some kind of crossfit style workout but anything will do. I have been working on just being able to do a handstand against a wll lately but not doing to well. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Travis Loest

Profile:
Re: Workout in dorm room

push ups, sit ups, squats, dips (on chairs if they are sturdy enough)

do 100 of each for time

do 25 of each for 1 round, complete 5-7 rounds for time

do you have stairs? walk them 2 at a time doing push-ups on one level, sit-ups on another

do 100 burpees for time?!

plenty of things to do.

If you have a hallway and you can use it. Do a hand stand against the wall and moved sideways down the hall on your hand propped against the wall.

Add in some pistols(single leg squats), or start to work on them

tabata squats, tabata bottom to bottom squats, tabata push ups, tabata sit ups, tabata anything!!

That'll keep you busy for a day or two. Mix things up so you don't stagnate or get bored with it. Go outside and do sprints around your building stopping at the door to do a set of what ever exercise
Old 11-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
John C. Brown

Profile:

Nicolas,
When I was in the Navy and would deploy I would spend a lot of time in hotel rooms. I took a kettle bell with me (this was prior to CF for me) and did a ton of KB work. Not much funnier than hearing the made cry "Dios Mio!" as she walked in to change towels and I was slinging around some weight
Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:

Ok wow. Thanks for the great advice. I will be trying to buy me a kettlebell soon. Until then ill try travis' ideas.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
S.S.

Profile:

The Annie workout seems pretty dorm-friendly...
50-40-30-20-10 reps of double unders and situps

Another WOD from last month involves 5 rounds of 100 jump ropes and 50 squats

Lots of ab workouts don't need any space at all...try doing a circuit of
Situps, atomic situps, flutterkicks, leg levers, V-Ups, and bicycle kicks that takes about 15-20 minutes - your abs will burn a lot. Not quite a Crossfit WOD but still good.

Another workout I've done involves AMRAP in 30 minutes of: 10 Pushups / 10 Flutterkicks/ 10 Squats. Or AMRAP in 20 minutes of 10 Pushups / 10 Situps.

Or try doing many reps of one exercise...like 500 pushups for time. Another pushup workout that is tough is doing something like 200 pushups without getting out of position (rest only in the up position).

Last edited by S.S.; 11-30-2007 at 10:15 PM..
Old 11-30-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
Michael Hays

Profile:

Installing a pull-up bar in the door frame could be another possibility. Though it wouldn't be very subtle, and the university might not appreciate the holes left in the frame (but I do believe there are some out there that don't leave permanent scars.)
Old 12-01-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
Victor Putz

Profile:

Nicolas--

I've been working out pretty much exclusively in my dorm room for the past three months doing the WOD with massive subs... it started out because I hadn't gone to the gym orientation sessions, and then I got used to it and realized I was working out a lot more because I didn't have to go anywhere to do it.

Basically, I look at the WOD and see what needs to be done. Obviously almost anything bodyweight can be done with some modifications (dips between chairs restrict your extension, etc); pullups are tricky. If you have a normal-sized doorway, something like the Door Gym might be a good investment; mine's packed in my household goods and the doors in this room are a weird size, so no dice there--but I have a stout desk, so do hanging rows with my feet on a chair, which isn't the same but is reasonably close.

Even an improvised weight is better than nothing; I have a box of books which I think weighs about 45 pounds or so, which is pretty light for things like deadlift/squat (increase reps...) but Fran still kills me. If I wasn't moving soon, a sandbag would work just fine for weight. Anything with overhead press you can fake with pike-pushups or HSPUs. Running workouts often translate into tabata squats for me (again, not the same, but...). A really solid non-rolling chair can be used to work up to pistols or for box jumps (but BE CAREFUL; furniture is not designed to be abused like that in general). May want to watch lots of jumping though (double-unders, burpees) unless you live on the ground floor!

In short, you can do a lot in a dorm room, so don't let that stop you!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
David S Keisler

Profile:

Burpees & a few DBs .. surely you could find a pullup friendly bar somewhere near by & work on your HSPUs against the door.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
Bryan Walker

Profile:

10 pushups, 10 situps, 15 squats each minute for 20 minutes.

20 pushups, 20 situps, 20 burpees, 2 min rest x3 for time
Old 12-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
Jake Oleander

Profile:

its amazing what you can do with a pull up bar, a space on the floor and some ingenuity.