CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
Matthew Wegner

Profile:
I wasn't quite sure which section to put this in. Hopefully it's appropriate here.

We work out in a park in a small group. Usually we just put on our headphones and get to business. With Tabatas and other timed intervals, though, we need to unplug and coach each other.

This gave me idea: Create a music mix that plays a fast song for 20 seconds, a slow song for 10 seconds, and so on. I had a friend create a Python script to do it for me (so I wouldn't have to tediously edit things by hand). It takes about a minute to create a new mix, and the playlist can be custom. It'd be easy to create any length of mix, using any number of songs.

If anyone's interested in the script I'd be happy to post it. This directory has four example mixes if you'd like to try them yourself: http://www.matthewwegner.com/tabata/

These songs are 4 minutes of 20/10 intervals and a minute of cooldown at the end. They work surprisingly well--you quickly learn to react to the song changes without much thought. Just queue up a few and go.

I'd be happy to create a few mixes for people, too, if you'd rather not mess with the nitty-gritty (the script is command-line and kind of clunky to use unless you're familiar with that kind of thing).
Old 02-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Thanks for sharing! Moving to Community.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Matt,
That's awesome! I'm not a real tech savvy person, so I'll just use your songs. I used my watch previously, but sometimes miss the beep in a loud gym enviroment. Thanks for posting that.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Great idea. Thanks for sharing. Now if I can just find my MP3 player.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
Michael Tong

Profile:
Thanks for sharing...

Along similar lines, if you need a hands-free visual tabata guide, here is an on-line customizable timer you could use on your computer: http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.html (Work/family safe).

I know this is limitiing for those who work out at a commercial gym or those who don't have a computer near their home/garage gym, but it is just another option. At the very least, you could do tabata burpees or squats in your computer room at home :-)

Old 02-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
Bill Russell

Profile:
Michael, thanks for posting the timer link. I downloaded the program so I don't need to be online to use it.

I travel a lot and do tabata routines in hotel rooms quite often. This timer is perfect.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
Matthew Wegner

Profile:
Re: Tabata Music Mixes

Just a quick note--I saw a log hit from this thread and realized the files were actually offline after a server move. They're back up now at the same URL:

http://www.matthewwegner.com/tabata/
Old 01-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Ole J

Profile:

Where can I get the actual script? I've actually hacked together my own, but it'
s *very* crude. Eg. relying on an external silence.wav file.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #9
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Matthew, thank you for the MP3 downloads, I appreciate it very much. I haven't gotten around to doing tabata-interval soundfile editing yet. I keep meaning to.

There are also some nice tabata timers for your computer --- I use one of these on my macbook. You click GO, it waits about 5 seconds, makes a Whipcrack! noise, and at 20 seconds "DING DING DING" like a boxing-period bell... Whipcrack! to begin each 20 second interval, and DING DING DING to end each work interval and begin rest interval. At the end of the final interval you get a Bugle Reveille call.

A lot of people have been linking to tutorials and softwares that let you insert Tabata Interval sound cues into your existing MP3s.

I like your formula of alternating work and rest music -- look forward to trying it out. Thanks for the resources.