CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
Tobias Personke

Profile:
I'd like to say hi to everybody of the CrossFit-Community. I had found this homepage some weeks ago by fluke. I tried to make contact by e-mail, but didn't get any answer so I use the discussion board to ask my questions and to introduce my self at first.
I'm 30 years old and working for my diploma in "Home Economics and Nutrition Science", which I hopefully finish this month. I had done Judo in my youth for about 6 years, but after two shoulder injuries at competitions I changed to body-building and fitness for the last years. I’d achieved a relatively good fitness when I was at the German army for about two years, but lost it after that. I got bored of my training routine and was happy to find something new.
I’ve started with the WOD’s last week and it was awesome. I’ve never felt so sore for many year, but I enjoyed it. My main problem is, that there are no CrossFit-style gyms here in Germany and I can't afford the fees to join a gymnastic club, an olympic lifting club and a gym, so I have to take what I can get at my current gym. But this will not stop me to do the WOD's!

I’ve got two questions:
- Does anyone has any contact for CF or CF- interested people in Germany ?(I couldn’t find one)
- I would like to purchase the CF journal, but haven’t got an international credit card (MASTERCARD).Is there an other way for payment? (PayPal or so?)

Thank you for your helping me and keep on CrossFitting

Best regards

P.S.: I would love to travel to the US and get a training at the CF facility at Santa Cruz to really see and feel what its all about.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Tobias,
Welcome to Crossfit. Davie at CrossFit Central Scotland was in contact with a German guy starting out. I'll see if I can dig up some info for you. If you are looking for something closer than Santa Cruz, we are doing a Crossfit seminar in London on the 20th.:happy:
Jeff
Old 04-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Matthias Neumann

Profile:
Hi Tobias,

I have the same problems as you (with the exception that I am probably far more out of shape than you :happy:) - my idea so far is to buy equipment and use the local park in order to do x-fit for at least a while at home, and then see how my motivation etc. is holding up. Haven't introduced myself yet, as I am only now getting around to the "long ramp up" towards real crossfit workouts (but I already would like to say "thank you" to Jeff Martin for the scaled WODs on BrandX and to Davie Easton for invaluable tips - and of course thanks to Coach Glassman for this website!!!).
Anyways - I live about 400 km away from you, so I guess I will have to keep on looking as well for training partners;
as for payment without a credit card - Lauren Glassman told me by e-mail to send an International Money Order (Auslandsueberweisung) to the address (not the bank account) of CrossFit Santa Cruz to pay for the CrossFit Journal; unfortunately, apparently the German Post Office has abolished the good old money order you could send off from every post office, and I still haven't found a way to do this which doesn't cost too much in banking fees. If you like, drop me an e-mail, I will certainly get back to you if I find out a convenient and cheap way of paying for the Journal without a credit card.
Matt(hias)

PS. All I get when googling *German* websites for CrossFit is advertising for CrossFit bluejeans...
Old 04-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Community...
Old 04-06-2006, 12:51 AM   #5
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Hi Tobias,

I am with CrossFit for the second year now, and live in Aachen. Don't worry about going to gyms. Get a home gym. You can get by with very minimal equipment to start out with. Over time, desire for more will come, as well as money for it. One real problem over here in Germany is getting an oly bar and bumpers - very expensive - I got mine from Cyberfit (http://www.cyberfit.com/cf/de/cf_news.php) - very nice guy, located in Gelsenkirchen. But you don't need that from the start - use dumbbells and a self-made sandbag instead. Tyler's rings are a must have - but you can make your own, too - search the board for more info on that.

If you have any questions, email me.

Cheers,

Christian

Old 04-06-2006, 04:31 AM   #6
Tobias Personke

Profile:
Thanks everybody for their help, till now. It's good to see that there are other guys in Germany who took notice of CrossFit. I would be happy about some other suggestions concerning alternative payment ways:happy:!!! Does somebody know, if some guys of CrossFit will take part in the FIBO in Essen this year?
Old 04-06-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
Tobias Personke

Profile:
Christian,
you say that you've been CrossFitting for about two years now. How do you get started,
what is your training background and what improvements can someone expect after this period of time?
I've started directly with the WODs with the recommended weight or a bit lighter. And I got very sore after that, what is no dicomfort for me, but interrupts the 3-day schedule. I read in one thread that you should start with the CF warm-up as your normal workout, until you get used to it and then add slowly some of the complex movements and the excercise for the WOD. What would you or someone else suggest??? And how do you learn the olympic lifts?

Best regards.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Tobias,

trying to answer it one by one:

- you say that you've been CrossFitting for about two years now: no, I am in the second year - it is actually about 1 year and three months or so

- how do you get started: read the starting stuff (links to Start Here on Website, read FAQ, peruse forum starting section, etc.) - I started out by following the WOD as closely as I could with minimal equipment, scaling down the weights / exercises to what I could handle

- what is your training background: back then, I was pretty fit for an average individual (3 years of regular running + some martial arts training), but I was weak compared to now

- what improvements can someone expect after this period of time: dramatically improved anaerobic fitness, much stronger, much better general coordination

- I've started directly ... snip ... what would you or someone else suggest: (1) take it light with the weights (2) never jump full force into a first-time workout or if you don't know the movements (3) focus on technique and metabolic conditioning before ramping up the weights (4) read the CrossFit Journals, as many as you can (5) if you train alone, favor safety and slow progress over ego and risk

- And how do you learn the olympic lifts: Jim Schmitz's video + home gym with mirror + bumpers + patience and "safety first"

Hope this helps,

Christian
Old 04-06-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
Tobias Personke

Profile:
Christian,

than you for your hints. But what about this Jim Schmitz video??? Is it right that you get your journal via creditcard payment or did you find another way? I ask this, because I want to order the CF journal, too, but don't have an international creditcard.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #10
Tobias Personke

Profile:
Hi Jeff,
thank you for your invitation to London seminar. I would love to join it, but I will start my new job after my studies on Monday and won't have time to. What a pity!!! But I'm looking forward that there will be more seminars in Europe or perhaps in Germany?

Greeting
Tobias