CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Jim Doherty

Profile:
I've just started the zone, and It seems like a ton of food, and I've always been considered to be a big eater.

I am 38 yo M. 205# 6'3" and regular xfiter (5 on 2 off).

According the various calculators I have about 18% body fat and should be on about 20 blocks a day. Here's what I have had so far today

Breakfast
Turkey/Tomato Omlet (1C 3P 2F)
Smoothie (home made) (3C 2P 2F)

Snack (apple and some nuts) (1C 1P 4F)

Lunch
salmon with
protein enriched pasta (6C 5P 3F)

Total so far (11C 11P 11P)

I am not alway able to have a balanced zone meal or snack, but I have been able to make the numbers even out by days end.

So now I have 8 or 9 blocks to go, but really, I've felt stuffed this week. I'm afraid I'm going to start packing on pounds when Ideally I wanted to either lose weight or at least move it around by gaining muscle at the expense of body fat.

Is this a normal feeling when first going on the zone or did a screw this up?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
When you're eating favorable carbs it's totally normal to feel stuffed as they have a very high volume per-block. Looking at your sample meals though, it doesn't seem like a lot of food, unless your measurements are off as far as the actual blocks you're consuming. Keep in mind that nuts don't usually count towards protein blocks as they are predominately fat, and even high-protein pasta would be a VERY small serving to equal one block of carbs, usually around 1/3 of a cup per-block.

That being said, if you were already eating relatively low-carb then it might make sense to feel more full. If not, the most common occurance is that people feel hungry because they lack the usual insulin spike...Make sure you really strive to dial this in with some level of accuracy (i.e. attempt to get Zone ratios at every meal...go by the block chart here: http://www.mitymous.net/weights/zoneblox.htm) so that you can answer your own question more accurately. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
The unhealthy food is calorie dense. If you'd had a Big Mac and fries, plus supersized Coke plus a candy bar for a snack, followed by a pizza in the evening with some beer and ice cream, you'd probably not feel full (insulin response leading to increased hunger) and have consumed nearly 5000 calories. Why do you think cows are so big? They need to pack in all that vegetable matter.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Matt Thacker

Profile:
Jim,
I'm with you brother. I have been doing the zone exactly by CFJ21 as a 20 blocker since Monday and I cant believe how much food I have to eat. The good news is today I weighed myself for the forst time this week and I have shed some pounds...Shedding pounds while feeling like I'm over-eating....Nice. I thought about lowering my blocks so I wouldnt have to eat so much but not if I'm losing weight.

Hang in there.

Matt