CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #21
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Newland View Post
Just going off what I understand from science, but isn't saturated fat the stuff that stays more or less solid at room temperature? That sounds bad to me. I'm all for bacon, in moderation, as well as cooking in bacon grease. I would like some clarification as to why one feels this is or is not the case, please.

Kent
Correct, saturated fats are solid at room temperature and yes they are bad for you which is why it is recomended that they should provide no more than 10% of your total energy intake.

These should answer any other questions you may have on this subject -

FAO.org - Fats and Oils in Human nutrition.

Heart Foundation: Position Statements - Dietary Fats and Sterols forCardiovascular Health.

Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients): Chapter 8 - Dietary Fats: Total Fat and Fatty Acids.

Dietary lipids and blood cholesterol: quantitative meta-analysis of metabolic ward studies.

FAO.org - Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases.

*All links wfs*
Old 08-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

http://tiny.cc/l5pws WFS

Quote:
The kicker with saturated fat is whether or not the LDL cholesterol is oxidized or not. The “artery-clogging” plaque production is mediated by oxidized LDL. The oxidized LDL then goes through a process where it becomes a fibrous cap. If this fibrous cap gets broken down by, you guessed it – lectins and chronic inflammation, that’s when the ischemic events take place. So what should really be our goal? Reducing inflammation through a clean, Paleo diet, abstaining from smoking and excessive exercise, minimizing alcohol consumption, and engaging in stress-lowering habits. When these variables are in order, we do not need to be so caught up with saturated fats.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #23
David Fletcher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Zhuang View Post
It looks like the belly, but you don't have to use that cut if you don't want streaky bacon fat. I usually get back bacon, which is from the loin. There's a picture of it here http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatcureBacon.html (WFS)

If there's any fat around the loin it'll be easier to trim off than belly bacon as well.

Here's someone's guide, with pictures, to making back bacon. You can just use Robb's receipe with it http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...ian-bacon.html (WFS)
My head when I realized I could make my own Canadion bacon (WFS). I have no idea why I never thought of doing that. I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #24
John McCord

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post

Bacon is cured. If it is not cured it is not bacon, it is pork belly.

This is the cut, although sometimes hard to find, at least in Albuquerque. (I've only seen it in Talin)

THere was a small meat market in Powder Springs, GA that most of you would love, they referred to it as "fresh bacon"
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #25
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fletcher View Post
My head when I realized I could make my own Canadion bacon (WFS). I have no idea why I never thought of doing that. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Please post how it goes! I'm thinking of trying it after finishing my current stash of supermarket bacon.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #26
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

I like the nitrate free bacon. Six months ago I started eating meat after 37 years of being vegetarian.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #27
Brian O'Laughlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post

Not the most persuasive post I've seen on that site.

Summary:
Q: Does saturated fat matter?
A: Well, it's oxidized LDL that matters, so do a lot of stuff just right and it won't oxidize, and then you won't have to worry.

Perhaps I'm being ungenerous. It seems one could calibrate one's saturated fat intake, too, and worry even less.

Hidden in the quoted paragraph is that increased saturated fat consumption, on average, raises LDL. That doesn't seem to be much in debate, even here. Search this forum for blood test results of Paleo Dieters and it is fairly typical to find elevated LDL. Also typical are reduced triglycerides. The significance of these variations remains a matter of debate.