CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Nutrition pre early morning workout

Do you drink coffee? A cup or two would probably do the trick.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
Kent Newland

Profile:

Before a morning workout I've found that 2-3 eggs scrambled with some spinach is an excellent breakfast. I dunno how much spinach, exactly. I just throw it in the pan with the eggs until it looks like enough. Typically I'll eat that about 45 minutes prior to hitting the gym. I thought about doing eggs and salsa, but that would cause a little indigestion during the WOD.

Kent
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
Boris Lau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Newland View Post
Before a morning workout I've found that 2-3 eggs scrambled with some spinach is an excellent breakfast. I dunno how much spinach, exactly. I just throw it in the pan with the eggs until it looks like enough. Typically I'll eat that about 45 minutes prior to hitting the gym. I thought about doing eggs and salsa, but that would cause a little indigestion during the WOD.

Kent
This has worked great for me too. Scramble 3 eggs in a tupperware, and fill another small tupperware with frozen spinach. Put them both in the microwave and bam, you've got yourself an easy meal before a morning workout. Minimal clean-up too since you can just eat right out of the tupperwares!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
Brian Michaelson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hellier View Post
I need a little help.

I work out at around 6.30 every morning. I get up just before 6 and I used to have a breakfast replacement shake. This left me quite bloated and changed to just a protein shake and a proper breakfast an hour after I finish.

I am now not feeling I have quite enough energy or motivation to get me through a tough WOD at that time in the morning. Any ideas? I thought about reaching for the Froning Peanut Butter and Jelly plan, but not sure that's too wise!
Have you ever thought about IF?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #15
Jason Gavino

Profile:

im a huge fan of just sipping on some bcaa's about 10 min prior to AM workouts as per leangains. no need to consume a meal or anything. its the meal afterwards that really counts.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:55 AM   #16
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

I work out at about 0530 so I pretty much roll out of bed at about 0500 and head out without anything to eat. of course once I'm done, I'll down a protein shake and then get breakfast and some BCAAs about an hour later.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #17
Kevin Chandler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hellier View Post
I need a little help.

I work out at around 6.30 every morning. I get up just before 6 and I used to have a breakfast replacement shake. This left me quite bloated and changed to just a protein shake and a proper breakfast an hour after I finish.

I am now not feeling I have quite enough energy or motivation to get me through a tough WOD at that time in the morning. Any ideas? I thought about reaching for the Froning Peanut Butter and Jelly plan, but not sure that's too wise!
If you consistently exercise every morning I would recommend just having a small meal consisting of a 2:1 carbs to protein ratio. A scoop of whey protein with a glass of orange juice outta do the trick. I wouldn't recommend eating a large meal here b/c it will take longer to digest. I would in fact recommend eating more complex carbohydrates during your last meal before bed time, as these will be used for energy in the morning. Often you will hear people say not to eat carbs at night b/c your body will store them as fat, but if you are exercising first thing in the morning, they will be your energy source. Try this for a few weeks and reap the benefits of having more intense workouts. If anything you will notice more fat loss due to new muscle gain and more calories burned during your workouts.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #18
JP Eddings

Profile:

I don't think anyone here has said not to eat quality food. some people like to try and get optimum performance is all.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #19
Kevin Chandler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay McCormick View Post
Stop being ridiculous; your morning meal should follow the same principles that ALL of your meals follow: Eat quality paleo foods. Don't get into any bullshlt Zone food-weighing. Don't worry about carb counting or food ratios. That shlt is so laughable. Eat good food. Go workout. Eat some more good, paleo food. There's your diet plan. You'll love it.

I'm not saying to eat anything unconventional first thing in the morning, however I would certainly eat a smaller meal. If you workout before your last meal is fully digested, you will likely end up feeling nauseous. And as far as food ratios go, it's a known fact that your body uses carbohydrates as its primary energy source. Having a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein at this time is vital to ensure that your body has adequate energy and also enough protein so that no muscle will be burned for fuel.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #20
Zach S

Profile:

A scoop of WPI and some fruit is the way to go. Add in some caffeine if you need it.