CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-31-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
I realize that the answer is probably "both," but bear with me; there's a method to my madness.

It seems to me from what I've read - and I am aware that I've just scratched the surface - that CF is more than the WOD. It's a set of exercises: the O-lifts, High-intensity Interval Training such as sprints, and various body-control gymnastics, along with some common sense dietary guidelines. And the idea appears to juggle-up those basic exercises to create a more-or-less daily workout program consisting of short (30 minutes or sometimes much, much less) very intense workouts. Examples of this process are posted every day as the WOD.

However I see some risk of confusing the WOD with Crossfit. Unless I'm misunderstanding that would be a mistake. Crossfit, it seems to me, is not any particular workout or set of workouts, but more a process:

1) Learn the basic CF exercises: multijoint olympic lifts and basic gymnastics exercises plus interval sprints of various sorts.

2) Follow a sensible diet.

3) Select from the basic exercises one or more every day (with allowances for work days) and try to increase the intensity every time by either doing more weight, or decreasing the time for the same weight, or both, depending on the exercise.

4) Repeat for life.

If I'm right, then Crossfit is a lot more portable and adaptable than it first appears. For example, suppose you're off on vacation, away from your gym, your kettlebells, etc. Well, you've still got your body don't you? (If you don't then your worries are over.) So make up a daily workout from bodyweight exercises only, plus sprints of some kind. Or work with heavy objects that you have to hand.

Likewise, you can work in other types of exercises now and then: clubbell exercise, medicine ball exercises, sandbag exercises, bodyweight exercises, even intense sports as part of a Crossfit training program.

Basically, as best I can make out, intensity, regularity, full-body involvement and determination are more important to Crossfit than any single exercise or set of movements.

Have I gotten the general idea?

--Paul
Old 09-01-2004, 04:41 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
You have it. The WOD is the manifestation of the Crossfit philosophy. You could take the theories and develop your own WOD's, if you wish, BUT my advice is to stick with the program as written, when possible. Don't believe it's just a philosophy because the program design is more than random throwing together of the exercises, it really is an art form. Too many people look at Crossfit and say "great philosophy, I get it" and proceed to bastardize the program. We tend to modify AWAY from our weak points: "Dumbbell military presses are just like handstand pushups, and lat pulldowns look like pullups so I'll just substitute." You are getting an exercise program written for you by the creator of the system, please don't mess with it. . .at least until you have done the program, as written, for one year. People who have been with CF for a while have seen the program morph and grow (more intense workouts, the benchmark workouts), please don't miss out. . .just do it (I think I'll market that phrase).
Old 09-01-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Paul-

As Larry said, You have it!!

Several months ago there was quite a brooha at a tactical opps website. Someone on the site mentioned crossfit and asked for the opinions of the fellow memebers. Their resident expert took one look at the WOD and dismissed it all as rubbish and told his crew to go back to KB'ing. These folks have put the tool before the philosophy. If we have a place to jump, run, climb, or throw...if we have a rock to lift or a caber to toss we ca crossfit.

Larry's recomendation to do it for a year is a very, very good one. It is a buggar to undo old habbits and relax into the way of training. I have a personal experience along this line I need to post in another thread.

Welcome and thank you for your thoughtful insights, I suspect you will be adding quite a bit to the community here.
Robb
Old 09-02-2004, 07:32 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Paul,

I follow the philosophy aspect of Crossfit. I came across this site after doing and coaching gymnastics for 15 years. This is the first general fitness concept that has so closely matched what I have learned/experienced/developed in my sport. I have been able to modify my own (and those I coach) training through the Crossfit concepts to noticable benifit. I do not follow the WOD explicitly as my training is pretty sport specific. I've seen the construction of the WOD and they really are well thought out and put together.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
Jon Michael Varese

Profile:

Paul,

Great post -- you do have it. And you'll get it even more as you do it. I second what Larry said in that you don't ever want to ease off what you can't do well, or what you fear. Of course, you will need to modify the program to your particular skill level, but you should always do it with the ultimate (sometimes seemingly impossible) end-goals in mind. I've found that doing this has really helped me focus.

I also really like your 4th point: repeat for life. It does become a lifestyle -- seductive, addictive, and occasionally obsessive. So be warned.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:41 PM   #6
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Larry, Robert, Roger, Jon, thanks for the supportive comments.