CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Andy Westcott

Profile:
The other day the olympic bar was in constant use, so couldn't get at it for my dead lifts. Instead I grabbed a couple of 70# dumbells and used them for some dead lifts. Slightly different motion, my back was more vertical, and felt it way more in my shoulders. Anyone else tried this?
Andy
Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
Ian Carver

Profile:
I do them quite a bit to change things up. I routinely use 90-100 LBS to get up to my bodyweight. I like them as they can be a bit easier on my back and a heck of a grip strengthener. The only bad thing I have to say about them is that my stance gets narrowed a bit to accomodate the DB moving up and down on the outside of my thighs. Still, they are a nice change from time to time.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Try one DB/arm at a time too...good variation as the load shifts and requires you to stabilize it.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
Andy,

It's a swell exercise but I wouldn't do it all the time. Standard barbell deadlifts will activate your posterior chain more effectively because your back can't be as vertical. That's really the point (other than loading up a bunch of weight to justify all the straining and bellowing to be mucho impressivo to the ladies, that is. :wink:)
Old 02-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Does your arm position vary greatly between the dumb bell movement and barbell movement? It would seem that overextension would be more of a potential issue as you dont have your thighs to prevent the weight from going too far back. Does that make sense. Im thinking of your back overarching into a C and the weight at the top of the C trying to collapse it.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
Andy Westcott

Profile:
Nick:
Your arms still hang in front of you, you just don't have to bend at the waist as much. Way less strain (and therefore stimulus) on the back, you feel it mostly in the hips and legs.
John:
good point!
Mike:
I will try that sometime, sounds good

thanks for the input guys

Andy
Old 02-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I used to do dumbell deadlifts way back in the day. I guess I stopped because... they worked? Something stupid like that. The tricky part is getting heavy enough dumbells.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I usually do sumo style with the arms close together inside my legs. I do them with the 40kg KBs. Nice to do in a pinch.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
Ari Kestler

Profile:
Have you tried one legged KB DLs? I find I get a better workout because these force me to increase full body tension for balance...harder than sumo style...