CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-18-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Just got done talking with Johnny Baumann about this one, so I thought I would throw it out to the community.

I am one who tries to approach the WOD from the perspective that Coach designs these workouts for the unpredictablity of life in mind. Thus, I am arguing that I should approach the workout tonight that I should go after the max lifts without using straps and gloves. Being able to handle the weight without "assistance" is truer to what can occur in the natural.

However, I do realize that straps would allow for a greater load on the bar, and possibly to great maximal efforts and improved gains.

What to people think?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Guest2

Profile:

I think it depends on what you're doing - if you're doing some basic WOD stuff, absolutely no straps.

I've tried using them here and there with heavy o-lifting training, but I don't really see a need for them. Experiment, sure. If you're working some O-lifting and maybe want to work some uber heavy clean or snatch high-pulls at more than 1 or 2 reps, straps seem to be legit OCASSIONALLY. As long as their use is limited to that kind of situation (which itself is pretty rare) and they don't become something you rely on to complete actual lifts (what's the point of being able to pick something up if you can't hold onto it), I don't see a problem at least experimenting with them. But I also don't see a huge advantage, either. So if you don't already have straps, I wouldn't bother getting any. You may just turn out to be a grip monster.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Karl
The grip is just something you have to work on.
Most people here will tell you, that if you cant hold on to it, you should drop weight. For crossfit purposes I would agree. You arent training to be a deadlifter. The gains will come without the straps, dont worry.

Ive done rack pulls with 675lbs, no straps, or belt.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Tom Gilbert

Profile:

1) Use the most weight you can possibly handle to build the most strength possible

2) If grip is a weakness, strengthen that area through whatever means necessary

3) Learn the hook grip
Old 12-19-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Static grip really shouldn't be an issue. If it is, supplement your work with some heavy static holds.

Use chalk to keep your hands dry - if climbers can use it, so can we. ;)

Experiment with a mixed grip.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Karl Geissler

Profile:
I stayed to my premise and increased 50lbs last night in the max from 270 to 320. I do prefer the mixed grip to just an overhand or underhand grip. I was hoping to get a little more dialogue going, but I appreciated the insights from all.

Thanks,

Karl
Old 12-19-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I can run 30 mph on a bike.

But without the bike, my top speed is much less.

Using exercise assistance devices changes the exercise. Sometimes there is very little "carry over". Sometimes there is tons of carry over.

Just like doing a squat clean is different than doing a power clean, using straps is different than not using straps.

The problem arises when you only do one or the other exclusively. Then the exercise device becomes a crutch. If straps are not helping your 'strapless' deadlift get any stronger, you need to work more on the 'strapless' and less on the 'strapped'.

As for me. . . I avoid crutche-I MEAN "Training Aides" like the plauge. If god didn't give it to me - I don't want it (unless injury is involved).
Old 12-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #8
Mike Yukish

Profile:
However, I do realize that straps would allow for a greater load on the bar, and possibly to great maximal efforts and improved gains.

Not to the complete chain. The back gets stronger while the grip gets weaker.

I think grip is an underestimated functional strength. The extreme case are rock climbers, where a strong set of forearms can compensate for a slew of other faults. But any sort of activity that requires gripping a tool or an object benefits hugely. Even pullups, as a strong grip gives me a wee bit of bounce and lets me aggressively kip at the bottom and gives an extra pull at the top.

I do my deadlifts with thumb and fingers on the same side of the bar, to work the open handed grip.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:33 AM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
My grip is stronger than my deadlift, so I don't have much empathy for those use straps more than occasionally.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
Andy Shirley

Profile:
My two cents.
I use Crossfit at a supplement to my rugby training(front row). When deadlifting(ME days), my goal is to pull as much weight as possible off the ground. My goal is absolute pulling strength, and as such , I use straps(boo, hiss). This is the only lift I use straps on, I do not use them on cleans, as I've found it throws off the movement.