CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
michael hinkle

Profile:  
I have a pt test coming up in about 3 months for my departments swat team and I thought it would be an interesting experiment to only do the girl workouts in the same 3 days on and 1 off rotation. I had a pre test today and was feeling a little light headed and dizzy after some hard anaerobic scenarios. I made it through but think I need to be in better shape than I was today.
The test is 1)300m sprint under 57 sec.- 2) bench press 1.5 of bw x1- 3) leg press 2.5 of bw x1- 4) 37 situps in 1 min- 5) 40 pushups in 1 min- 6) 1.5 mile run in 13:19.
This is followed by some scenario training in which you have to climb, run and shoot all under simulated stress conditions. So my anaerobic fitness level needs to be pretty high.
Anyone have any suggestions or criticisms as to whether this would be a good idea?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Do you get to rest in between each numbered station?
Where are you now?
Can you do each of the tasks?

Your first priority is to be able to complete each task. Doing the girls is great but if you can't bench 1.5 times your bodyweight you will fail if I understand the test. You said you made it through so I will make the assumption you could complete all of the tasks required already and just want some "breathing room" during the actual testing sitation, if that is so I would.

Train for the test. Do the complete test once a week, so that when you do it for real you are more confident and can think better during your scenario testing.

In addition to training for the test do what makes sense to you. The girls the rest of the week is not a bad idea.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to the Workout of the Day section.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:26 AM   #4
michael hinkle

Profile:  
I can complete the test now but I want to be able to really blow it away. You get a rest after the 300 m run while you wait to do the other exercises but it is pretty much one right after another.
I guess my post was to see if anyone had any opinions as to whether just doing the "girls" would be "overtraining". I noticed that during the three work days you usually have a particularly hard day and two usually not as hard days.
Since these are all timed or scored events I obviously want to post some killer times.
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-19-2006, 04:15 AM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Three months is plenty of time to see some big improvements just by following the WOD as posted.

You can then layer on top some specific test practice for the bench press and *shudder* leg press.

The running, pushups and situps should be well taken care of by the WOD.

You could just do the girls but as you've noted there would be less variation in intensity and you might burn out.

I'd do a warm up of pushups, pullups, sit ups and then some heavier bench and squats (3 x 3 or 5 x 5) then after that do the WOD.

Do the bench and squats 3 times a week, not every day and do the warm up every time and i think you'll smoke the test.