CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 06-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Chris Brigham

Profile:
Working out with 12 hr shift

I have an inquiry for the medical/health community about the ability to grow/preform a product workout whilst being in a line of work that demands a 12-13 hour work shift... picture LE and Nurses and Fire, long work days with minimal sleep, and then long periods for rest days. Would it be worth while to attempt to work out rather then sleep and recover on a work day?

additionally I pose the question to a schedule that is 5 on 5 off... know that I will being working a full 5 days of 12 hours, taking out time to shower and eat and the occasional family time and drive time to work, is it worth it to wake up earlier then needed to get a workout in? or would it be better off to then wait until off days and then hit it hard when recovery and rest is optimal?

honestly it comes to I don't want to waste the days I am working... insight needed
Old 06-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
John Matthew Ware

Profile:
Re: Working out with 12 hr shift

I think it depends on what you are doing...I used to work a couple of 15 hour shifts a week and always did a 5K run or 30 minutes of yoga before work and I felt a lot better during the day afterward...I had a short commute, so it was easier for me to get it in...My suggestion is to try it...If it works great, if not try something else...Good luck, friend.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Samantha Rastagh

Profile:

Hi!

I'm in the medical field so I, too, work 12 hour shifts that have commutes and the hours constantly vary so sleep can be at a minimum. I usually work out even when I'm tired as I find that I have to get it in some how. However, I listen to my body, so if I'm really tired I may skip a day. My performance is pretty consistent and gains are as they should be. However, if I don't do great on a shift day, I don't beat myself up. Hope this helps!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Mike Sutherland

Profile:

I work some very long days (and some very short days) and travel internationally for work. I've found working out after a long day is the best recipe. Once you get used to it the last few hours of your day go by faster as you begin to look forward to your workout.

If you get to the gym and you just don't have it in you then you pack it in and go home. Listen to your body here, there is no use forcing reps and hurting your form.

On days when I would run out of gas it was usually more to do with inability to eat properly during a hectic work day than with the actual amount of work that I did.

The only thing I would caution is to make sure you get a few good rest days in. These days should preferably be days when your not working or on your feet all day.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Stanley Walter

Profile:

And eat more!

12 hour shifts break your body down as is.