CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
Chuck Golden

Profile:
Re: 5/3/1 and Crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deren Huang View Post
I personally have not listened to this specific one, I have listened to a couple of their podcasts. Most of the time, a lot of off topic stuff and some nuggets here and there.

Most likely not family and work safe, they like to swear..

http://fitr.tv/blogs/barbell-shrugge...f-raw-strength
They did spend about 10-15 minutes actually telling you some good, specific information about the program. Other than that it might as well have been an infomercial but I learned quite a bit in those 10minjtes as I've never read the e-book.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
Kevin Haley

Profile:

I am in my 3d week of my first Wendler cycle-similar CF schedule-actually pretty similar size and age as well-It can definitely be done--if you have a strength component to your workout at the Box-you can probably sub out whatever Wendler lift you are doing that day-or even work it in if the strength is complementary-pulling on a Wendler bench press day for example-big thing though I think is to manage your volume of training-definitely want to cut back to maybe 3 metcons a week and be smart about which ones you do (my box posts all the workouts for the week on Sunday so it is easy to plan-but if yours doesn't then ask)-and you are going to have to eat until you are uncomfortable in order to fuel that kind of volume-have fun!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Justin Ruffing

Profile:

One way to add strength work or decide what strength to do each day is to do a heavy version of whatever movements your box has programmed in the metcon for the day. If they have wallball programmed then you can squat heavy and press heavy before the metcon. Or that day you can do heavy clean and jerk. If they are doing KB swings and pull-ups you can deadlift heavy and do weighted pull-ups or barbell rows. Its not perfect but it can work pretty well.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 AM   #14
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ruffing View Post
One way to add strength work or decide what strength to do each day is to do a heavy version of whatever movements your box has programmed in the metcon for the day. If they have wallball programmed then you can squat heavy and press heavy before the metcon. Or that day you can do heavy clean and jerk. If they are doing KB swings and pull-ups you can deadlift heavy and do weighted pull-ups or barbell rows. Its not perfect but it can work pretty well.
If you do the upper body strength, you need to continue with upper body wods or balance them with lower body oriented wods ?