CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Boris Wartenberg

Profile:
How did you got to CrossFit??? Your story of sport...

Hi out there,

I would like to get to know your story how to get in touch with CF?

So first, here is mine

I started playing handball when I was about 11 years old, because my math teacher was the handball coach @ school and invited us to training.
Until I was 16 I played and progressed every year, so in the end I was playing for a very successful team. On one day and a very important game I was fouled very hard and broke my elbow. Due to the fact it was a very important game, both of my parents were there luckily..... I have problems with my elbow until today!!! (just for those doubter who think CF is dangerous )

After this and a year of no sports at all, I tried to play again, but was to "frightened" to get in touch one on one!
So I started with TaeKwon Do, because one of my best friend went there. I did it until I was about 25, then stopping because I was looking for someting else...
At the age of 33 I started Krav Maga, because I already had some experience so I knew TKD is quite good for training, NOT for SelfDefense!
In the meanwhile I played rugby..... Guess what I think is worse when we are talking about possibilities to get injured??? Rugby vs CrossFit...

2011, Ive been an Krav Maga Instructor now for a year, my clients came up to me, asking about something they could do to become more fit???
Mmmhh, good question.... I talked to some guys I know who are involved in military training in Israel (most of them are Krav Maga Instructors and serve in the IDF) they told me about CrossFit. They got involved with it, when they went to the US for some Krav Maga seminars...

OK, looking the internet for CrossFit I found a lot of Youtube Videos and of course I tried one of this "relatively" simple looking WODs.... I started... and yes, failed....
This one was barbara!!! OK, from my point of view from today ist might be stupid trying this, but on that day i thought it must be possible.....

Since then, the first year on my own, then in the cologne box, Im training CrossFit .... And I have to say, I love it.....

Cheers
Boris
Old 11-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Jessica Eggleton

Profile:
Re: How did you get to CrossFit??? Your story of sport...

I love hearing inspirational stories! So here's mine, and hope you enjoy the read:

I was never physically active as a teenager, I went from 100lbs to 170lbs by the time I graduated high school, I'm only 5'4" by the way. In 2006, I went to curves with my mom, and I weighed more than her. However, it was not enough to change my lifestyle. I worked fast food chains, gaining more and more weight, developed degenerated discs in my lower back.

In 2010, I was in a car accident, and I fractured my spine in the L5 region. I could not sit, stand, or lay down for long periods of time. I became very depressed and as a result, I started partying, smoking, drinking... and gained another 30lbs capping out at 200lbs. After my accident I was required to do some testing, one of which was having an ECO done. This would reveal that I was born with a heart condition that if I were to continue my lifestyle I would have to have major surgery by the time I was 40 (I was only 22 at the time). Unfortunately this surgery doesn't go well most of the time, so I would cut my life expectancy greatly.

Fast forward to New Years 2012, really bad experience, and finally said "I can't live like this anymore". My friend introduced me to Crossfit in February, but I was getting ready to move across country. I would watch countless Crossfit videos, I remember I watched one of the Open workouts, 7 mins of burpees. I got about 3 minutes in and quit. lol.

So while I was away, I tried everything to lose weight, those weight loss shakes, all sorts of different programs, but I always got bored and quit. I lost a total of 30lbs on my own. Putting me down to 170lbs My father also said I would never lose the weight. I had new motivation, a fire in my belly... So the moment I knew I was coming home, I booked my introductory session at my local CF box. I was so nervous, I almost backed out. Almost! July 2nd 2012, I joined CF and have never looked back.

From July to November 2012, I lost 45lbs, fell in love with the sport, Olympic Lifting. I even used my CF experience to my advantage in June 2013, when I competed in a Strongwoman competition, and WON 1st Place! It has opened so many doors for me and I just can't imagine my life without Crossfit anymore.

I can honestly say my friend saved my life by introducing me to this crazy little thing called Crossfit.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Brent Latimer

Profile:
Re: How did you got to CrossFit??? Your story of sport...

amazing story Jessica!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I blame it all on Roger Harrell of CrossFitMarin, "the Cave" now in Corte Madera. I worked out with his gymnastics group on Fridays when they would come to the gymnastics gym I coached at (Novato Gymnastics) and eventually helped him do 2 gymnastics seminars for CF in 2005/6. Then he created his affiliate in 07 I think.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

This blog post of mine from three years ago (wfs) includes my "how I got to Crossfit" story.

It's a long post. You have been warned.

- Mark