CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Bassiru Kamara

Profile:
Question 2 Training Sessions a Day?

I have a competition coming up in about 12 weeks. I was thinking about starting to train twice a day leading up to the competition. Morning workout would be a strength cycle focused on Olympic lifts. Then training at my box in the evening. At my box we're doing a strength cycle focusing on back squats, strict press, and deadlifts followed by a metcon of some sort. Is this a good idea if I keep my rest, nutrition, and supplementation in check?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Stanley Walter

Profile:
Re: 2 Training Sessions a Day?

What kind of competition.

I have tried doing 2 a days while I was still ignorant enough to think it was necessary. I didn't last very long.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I do cardio every weekday morning and strength/WOD in the evenings like 3 times a week probably.

I couldn't imagine trying to do strength twice a day and WOD every day.

Just listen to your body, I take days off as needed.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Def gotta listen to body.

One of the guys at our gym does split sessions often but he's also 23. He doesn't do it every day and won't when school starts.

Maybe do oly am, strength work that is oly specific like sn balance or jerk recoveries, sn/cn high pulls. Leave the bug strength till later.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I do two-a-days fairly routinely. Honestly if you want to compete at CF it is easier to get everything in if you do two-a-days. YOU CAN do once a day but it needs to be really good programming and very focused training sessions. At least if you want to be good at CF. It is apparent to me that you can cover holes in programming finesse with volume. Of course too much volume can be disastrous too, so as everyone has said you gotta listen to how you're feeling and you need to eat enough, and you need to sleep enough, etc.

For me, my morning session is more aerobic...usually single modality, however I've played with gymnastics mixed in...double unders and ring dips or air squats and running, etc...usually WODs in the 15-30 min range.

I do strength focused stuff in the evening/afternoon (as long as I can EAT!). If I know I don't have food or didn't sleep well the night before I'll scrap the morning session at times.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Michael Cook

Profile:

It may take you some time to get used to doing twice a day workouts. You're shortening your postworkout recovery time from 23 hours to just a few hours. So start with 1 day a week, and make both of those sessions somewhat easier than usual. Then, slowly build up from there.

If you are training for a CF competition, being able to recover sufficiently enough to do twice a day sessions may help you with the demands of a competition, where you might have 5 wods in 2 days.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Blaise Davis

Profile:

I'm a fan of two a days...you don't do all your workouts in a couple hours at a comp anyways....just listen to your body as said before...going extra on metcons and cardio shouldn't hurt...going extra on strength if your already doing a strength program I would say no....with strength more can be less very quickly
Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
Dakota Base

Profile:

I find it odd that some people are suggesting that working out twice a day is ill advised or foolish. Two-a-day's are a very common practice in almost every professional sport. The top Games competitors pull down multiples on a regular basis, sometimes 5 workouts or more between sunrise and sunset.

Structure your program intelligently, if you need two in a day, use it wisely.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
I find it odd that some people are suggesting that working out twice a day is ill advised or foolish. Two-a-day's are a very common practice in almost every professional sport. The top Games competitors pull down multiples on a regular basis, sometimes 5 workouts or more between sunrise and sunset.

Structure your program intelligently, if you need two in a day, use it wisely.
Professional athletes have strength and condition coaches, nutritionists, usually a boat load of supplements from a sponsor, and no real job to go to everyday so they can sleep and rest on downtime. A normal person has to wake up early, workout, go to a to a strenuous job, come home make dinner for themselves and possibly other family members, fufill family obligations and those of the household, workout again, go to sleep and do it all again. I know for me I do hard work at my job and have two kids to care for. two a days more than 2-3x per week would obliterate me and probably send my gains in reverse.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassiru Kamara View Post
I have a competition coming up in about 12 weeks. I was thinking about starting to train twice a day leading up to the competition. Morning workout would be a strength cycle focused on Olympic lifts. Then training at my box in the evening. At my box we're doing a strength cycle focusing on back squats, strict press, and deadlifts followed by a metcon of some sort. Is this a good idea if I keep my rest, nutrition, and supplementation in check?
if you are going to do alot of working out and volume, then 2 a day or even 3 a day can actually be better. i would much rather do three 45 minute workouts then one long 3 hour workout. but you can only do what your schedule allows. and as you stated, rest, nutrition, supps, and RECOVERY are key. and don't be scared to take a day off when you need it.