CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Snatch fail @ 185

Very good. A forward hop is caused by a bad pull. Adam said he felt that the bar made contact too low in the pocket, so maybe that is what caused the forward hop, even though his extension looks pretty good.

My previous comment was because I heard Coach Burgener talking about footwork and position. He criticized hopping back as a sign of a fatigued or weak pull (like towards the end of Isabel), though he didn't comment on the forward hop. In my mind a backwards hop means the bar has to travel further back to be received above the shoulders, and a forward hop would be bringing shoulders under the bar. Of course the ideal is no hop front or back.

Thanks for the correction.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R Morris View Post
Very good. A forward hop is caused by a bad pull. Adam said he felt that the bar made contact too low in the pocket, so maybe that is what caused the forward hop, even though his extension looks pretty good.

My previous comment was because I heard Coach Burgener talking about footwork and position. He criticized hopping back as a sign of a fatigued or weak pull (like towards the end of Isabel), though he didn't comment on the forward hop. In my mind a backwards hop means the bar has to travel further back to be received above the shoulders, and a forward hop would be bringing shoulders under the bar. Of course the ideal is no hop front or back.

Thanks for the correction.
Christopher,

The bar should be moving backwards at that point anyway. A lot of weightlifters describe the movements as more of pulling the barbell back rather than just up.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Just Chris is good, thanks.

If the bar has traveled back the right amount, there won't be any hop forward or backward. A hop forward is trying to save a pull that didn't bring the bar back far enough.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
Adam Fisk

Profile:

First of all thanks for the awesome insight, guys. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Horton View Post
I would suggest you slow the bar down from the floor. The acceleration curve (the graph of the change in speed) of the bar should be the OPPOSITE of deadlifts. That is, for most people, a deadlift starts off the floor as fast as you can yank it, then it slows down as you hitch and stream and spit to get that bar up.

On an olympic lift, the bar starts slow, then as it comes into the hip, it speeds up and up and up.

It's actually an exponential curve. AKA, go slow as all hell for as long as you can (about 2 inches from hip), THEN explode like a maniac. (That's over-simplified, but as a cue works really well.)
I definitely agree with you on my speed. I have poor patience by nature (for example picking my head up too early when I swing a golf club) and it is so hard for me to overcome that. I will be making sure to cue my pulls and save the agression for the 2nd pull and extension. I attempted 185 again the other night and I didnt get as close as I did in the video. I know for a fact that it was because I wasen't agreeive enough on the extension. Which leads up to the next part.

Quote:
First - was this a mental failure? Did the weight of 185# in an OHS position feel too heavy? There is the slightest forward travel of the bar after you received it, and you give up and dump it before it was truly beyond saving. If you can stabilize and be patient for one beat, feel solid in mind and body, then STAND UP, you would have had it. If I go frame by frame, that little forward travel of the bar starts with a softening of the shoulder position. So you're right about needing more confidence with external rotation.
OHS along with all other overhead work (strick press, push press, jerks, etc) are my biggest weaknesses. My right shoulder was injured about 6 years ago and it has never been the same. It is significantly weaker than my left.

My OHS 1RM is currently 215 which I think I can surpass if I attempted to right now. My current snatch PR is 175 which felt like butter when I hit it for the second time on Monday. It was such a solid pull and I felt no flaws throughout the entire lift. Then I threw on 10lbs and all of a sudden it was like woah, why is this so much heavier? Like I said above, I definitely could have been more aggressive with my hip extension but there is the thought in the back of my mind saying "Oh s!@# don't drop this on your head." Which is funny cause that never even crossed my mind when I hit 175.

When my coach saw the video he told me I had the lift if I externally rotated, which I completely agree with. At this point I feel like I am learning the snatch all over again and have to make one adjustment at a time.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
you give up and dump it before it was truly beyond saving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fisk View Post
My right shoulder was injured about 6 years ago and it has never been the same. It is significantly weaker than my left.
there is the thought in the back of my mind saying "Oh s!@# don't drop this on your head."
You shouldn't go out of your way to save a lift if you've been injured before. Better to wait to receive one where you feel confident and solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M Hutchinson View Post
jumping back is ok, jumping forward is almost always bad and not jumping forward or back is ideal.
In my education about the hop, I learn a bit here from Chad Vaughn (wfs). He talks about no hop forward or backward being ideal, but that a hop backwards tells him that the pull back and under the bar was effective (maybe a little too effective). He says if the bar has a hook back at the top, he can tell that the feet have hopped back.

I understand now that a hop forward would mean an incomplete extension/pull, and the weight pulls you into a forward hop.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #16
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Coach B. prefers minimal backward movement but if you do land behind the initial pull position - as Coach B. has seen me do a thousand times - it's okay as long as you bring the bar with you. However, a forward landing position is, as others have stated, almost always indicative of an incomplete pull. Very very few top lifters, jump forward on a consistent basis. I'm struggling to think of any.