CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Chris Cutter

Profile:
Re: Special Forces Preparation

Villain challenges and the operator ugly test has it's place but when your on the Hill on mile 30 of Endurance your weighted pull-up and squat clean numbers won't mean anything. Go tabbing in Brecon at least 2 days in a row as often as possible. Strengthen your legs and lower back but you have to concentrate on building your long distance engine. Tabbing, spin bike on a high gear, swimming, running. Make sure your Nav is good and you know the area, decreasing the amount of time on feet will aid recovery. From your initial post you have a good idea of what's required. The UK process is pretty different to the US approach, neither is better, just different. Bear this in mind when receiving advice.

Hope this helps. PM if needs be.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

You gotta ruck. YOU MUST RUCK.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Rick Schwing

Profile:

As everyone else said, RUCK. I tried preparing the way you did in highschool before i got shipped to Ft. Benning Sand Hill for Infrantry school..

Throwing 2 20lb DBs in a back pack and walking up and down the street, and doing a light jog did very little it felt when I did the real deal. If I had to do it over again...

I would buy a back supported pack or ruck. Weight it with 100lbs. Get you some comfortable military boots. I like the Consverse (moon boots) with the zipper on the side. Camel back. And a GPS app on your cell phone. Find a open highschool track stadium. And start your journey. Do a full lap at a fast pace, when you start your second lap, go up the stadium stairs to the top, walk across.. come back down, walk on the track on the turns, and do the same thing to the visitor side. That is half a mile. Do that about 8 times. That could possibly get your feet weet. I was never in a specialized unit. I have no idea how far or their pace that they march.. but in 11B school. We rucked about 8 miles once a week, with about 60lbs at a mild to fast pace.

Also, if your not rucking, and your running.. run with boots on. Not running shoes.

My .02's. GL on your adventure!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Paul Ryan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Villain challenges and the operator ugly test has it's place but when your on the Hill on mile 30 of Endurance your weighted pull-up and squat clean numbers won't mean anything. Go tabbing in Brecon at least 2 days in a row as often as possible. Strengthen your legs and lower back but you have to concentrate on building your long distance engine. Tabbing, spin bike on a high gear, swimming, running. Make sure your Nav is good and you know the area, decreasing the amount of time on feet will aid recovery. From your initial post you have a good idea of what's required. The UK process is pretty different to the US approach, neither is better, just different. Bear this in mind when receiving advice.

Hope this helps. PM if needs be.
This. You need to go the Brecon Beacons and at the very least familiarise yourself with the area. Leg strength and endurance is very important. Become a god with a map and compass and make sure you have a good first aid kit so that you can prevent and treat blisters.

I'm guessing you're going for 21/23 SAS? Or do you have prior military experience and you're going for SBSR?

Either way, I wish you the very best of luck. I'm applying as an officer in the Royal Engineers when I'm finished university. If I get in, I may go down this road myself after a few years, but that's a long way off yet!

PS: If I were you I'd take Chris' advice as gospel. Based on his location I'd say he knows his stuff on this subject, but I'm just speculating.

Last edited by Paul Ryan : 02-02-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
Ben Orga

Profile:

I would stay away from paleo and just stick with eating well and eating often. Don't limit your body to a diet that very few in this community are able to follow. You will not have time or the resources to follow paleo if you succeed. Your training will demand more food than paleo can give you.

Get some boots that you will use at selection and break them in. Read the book fixing your feet. Learn land navigation. Talk to people who have passed similar selections. Squat heavy and often and load gradually on rucks. Don't break yourself, and be healthy come selection time.

No matter how you have prepared physically, if your not mentally committed, don't even try.

If you have a date for selection already go over to military athlete.com and get their selection program.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
Jessica Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Orga View Post
I would stay away from paleo and just stick with eating well and eating often. Don't limit your body to a diet that very few in this community are able to follow. You will not have time or the resources to follow paleo if you succeed. Your training will demand more food than paleo can give you.

Get some boots that you will use at selection and break them in. Read the book fixing your feet. Learn land navigation. Talk to people who have passed similar selections. Squat heavy and often and load gradually on rucks. Don't break yourself, and be healthy come selection time.

No matter how you have prepared physically, if your not mentally committed, don't even try.

If you have a date for selection already go over to military athlete.com and get their selection program.
What he said!

I've been doing PT with these guys for the past two weeks (I'm prepping for CST and that falls under SpecOps and they deploy with SF and Rangers).

I agree with NOT doing paleo, the guys always say to pack on some extra weight before you go because you'll lose so much of it.

I completely agree with squatting heavy and loading gradually with the ruck. You need to eventually learn to run for long distances with that ruck, so build your body up to that. I started out with running 50 right steps and then walking 50 right steps and doing that over and over again until I was able to just run with a heavy ruck for a long distance.

Land Nav is crucial as well. Problem solving skills are essential... Like others have said and from all I've heard from these guys, the physical demands are no where near the mental/emotional strain.

Good luck, much respect
"...we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us."- Romans 8:37