CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-03-2005, 06:40 AM   #1
Steve Shafley

Profile:
By Mary Enig (the coconut oil advocate and lipid researcher) and Sandy Fallon...also the authors of "Nourishing Traditions"

I skimmed through it at the bookstore, because I've read a lot of Enig's stuff online.

Anyone have it? Any other reviews?

Here's the Amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1594630054/qid=1107437919/sr=8-1/r ef=pd_bbs_1/103-3815333-8174255?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Old 02-03-2005, 07:04 AM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I'm really not sure what to think of Enig & Fallon. I recall a post on T-mag where someone took the trouble of going through their references and found some which were disingenuous.

I didn't reaed "Eat Fat to Lose Fat" but did read "Nourishing Traditions". I thought it was very interesting. It's very polemic and a bit ad hoc. Not sure what to make of it. They seem a bit fringe, but it's not like the current orthodoxy is any better.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
Patrick Kennedy

Profile:
Steve,

I have not read "Eat Fat Lose Fat" either, but I did read a book titled "Eat Fat Get Thin" by Barry Groves(http://www.second-opinions.co.uk that I would recommend. I began reading about dietary fat, cholesterol, and traditional nutrition after my father had a bad reaction to a prescription cholesterol medication. He is no longer taking that medication and the symptoms he experienced have abated, although I believe he did suffer some permanent harm. I think it is important for people to understand that food production is an immensely powerful industry, and the health of consumers is a very low priority compared to maximizing profits.

For me, the greatest benefit of reading in this body of knowledge was realizing the critical importance of diet to health. I was fortunate to grow up in a family that ate mostly unprocessed food. However, in college and then living on my own, I ate what was convenient, mostly based on highly processed starch. Only in the last year have I changed to a healthier diet based on meat/fish/eggs, fruit/vegetables, nuts/berries, and basically eliminating processed sugar and starch. The benefits were immediate and very noticeable. The bottom line for me is this, I cannot trust the food industry with my health. Sadly, waking up to this reality is not so easy in a world saturated with the skillful advertising of powerful industries.

To end on a positive note, this Crossfit community is a shining example of folks living and promoting a healthy, active, and informed way of life, not for monetary profit, but instead for the profit and benefit that comes from a healthy, fit, and giving community. What a great year 2004 turned out to be, coming out of a junk-food induced trance and finding Crossfit. Much to be thankful for!

Patrick
Old 02-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
Hone Watson

Profile:
Its seems fairly clear that most pre-agricultural peoples ate plenty of fats when they could get it. But they also ate plenty of plant foods because these were much easier to gather than hunting down an animal.

On the weston price website there is a section which shows what the authors of the site eat.

For me the diets they eat have far to little vegetables and fruits. I think its fine if you eat organic organ meats, raw milk, coconut and other high fat foods but you've also got to include a lot of fresh plant matter. It looks to much like an organic version of the Aitkins diet. Some Native American nations may have eaten diets that were mainly made up of animals but they ate the stomach and intestines of the animal which was filled with predigested and fermented plant foods.

Enig & Fallon criticize the Paleo Diet for being to low in fat which I think is a fair call. Sure wild game has far higher percentages of lean tissues and has much less fat overall than animals grown by modern farming methods but in the Paleo diet the whole animal was eaten and organ meats have much higher levels of fat.

Finally they may be eating a diet which is closer to what we evolved to eat than the processed post industrial diet of today but I doubt their academic movement patterns resemble the vigorous active lifestyles of the cultures whose diets they studied.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
"Finally they may be eating a diet which is closer to what we evolved to eat than the processed post industrial diet of today but I doubt their academic movement patterns resemble the vigorous active lifestyles of the cultures whose diets they studied. "

I agree. Fallon & Enig are drawing conclusions from cultures which have existed in the last 10,000 years. However, only a tiny fraction of our genetic make up occured during this Holocene period.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
This is an interesting article:
http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/AJCN%20PDF.pdf

The main departure Fallon and Enig have from Cordain is thier enamorment with saturated fats. I am not sure what to think aobut this but they do advocate both sources and amounts which do not fit well with the previous 99% of our hominid history.
Robb