CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
John Hayward

Profile:
Non-affiliate coaching

I recently qualified as a CF Lvl-1 Trainer and have a question over the use of such a qualification in a military environment.

I have read the FAQ and as I understand it, I cannot put a poster up advertising “Crossfit Foundation Classes” without being an affiliate, despite it being completely free of charge. I understand that (I think).

The problem we have here in the UK military (and I’m sure the US too) is that we are drafted into a new job every 2 years. At this time, I am the only Level 1 Trainer within this base (Navy Command HQ); I REALLY want to bring Crossfit to others here in order to get the Royal Navy engaged from the very highest echelons (4* Admiral) downwards. I would seek military Affiliate status but I cannot guarantee that in 2 years (when I leave here) there will be other Level 1s to take over; this would see the box collapsing without trace.

I workout every day here in the gym and there is genuine interest for me to coach. I am also a Chartered Management Institute Level 5 Coach (College Degree level) with over 500hrs of general coaching experience.

This then brings me to what I can and can’t do with my qualification. I would like to begin some Foundation classes over a 12-week period in order to enhance this fledgling interest and build it further. Should there then be a core of individuals who might wish to conduct a Level 1, we would seek to Affiliate as a military non-profit club but only if we could guarantee that it would be around in the next 5 years or so.

How can I therefore coach people using Crossfit methodology, and spread the love accordingly, if I cannot use “Crossfit” in the title. I am not looking to establish a brand / box name, such as “Crossfit Royal Navy” or something like that, I merely wish to coach some interested parties using an established fitness suite here in our camp.

Or does the Level 1 cert mean that you can only coach Crossfit while working for an established affiliate? If so, the FAQ / guidance should reflect that.

Any help gratefully received.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Charlie A Nilsson

Profile:
Re: Non-affiliate coaching

Why not affiliate and try to get another person to get certified.. 2 years is a long time.
If not you are probably working out alone for the next couple of years

No but just affiliate, a military affiliate is free of charge and not very difficult to start and you don't have to worry about trademark etc.

If you get relocated pass it on or take the affiliation with you.
28/5.6/~150# DL: 419# BS: 330# Press: 155# "Mary" 16+2 "Angie" 15:29 "Murph" 34:15 "Fran" 3:42
Old 12-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
John Hayward

Profile:
Re: Non-affiliate coaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie A Nilsson View Post
Why not affiliate and try to get another person to get certified.. 2 years is a long time.
If not you are probably working out alone for the next couple of years

No but just affiliate, a military affiliate is free of charge and not very difficult to start and you don't have to worry about trademark etc.

If you get relocated pass it on or take the affiliation with you.
Charlie,

I have been giving this option some serious consideration overnight and will talk to the unit Physical Training Instructors about it today.

Devoting the correct amount of time to it is the hardest part, especially on a daily basis. If I could escape from my desk more often then I would. At a time when Defence is conducting some kind of slash'n'burn approach to its manpower, it is hard to justify being able to take on another job. It almost shouts out "I'm not busy enough, cut this position!"

There is also a brand new affiliate a mile from here, another Royal Navy one, but in a different base. Under the rules, I cannot coach here while representing them. My original aim was to get people interested and then 'feed' Crossfit Trafalgar with new interested parties.

Alternatively, I scale this right down and just try to find a few interested individuals to workout with every day.