CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #51
Austin Benson
Member Austin Benson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Laporte  TX
Posts: 26
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

One reason Crossfit bothers me is due to the huge amount of people who feel the need to post pictures of themselves doing lifts with random objects, such as Jane Doe doing a snatch with a water ski or a stick. Or John Doe doing pull ups on a cruise ship and then posting the picture and saying "Crossfit can be done anywhere." When I see these pictures, I just think that these people are stupid.

And in regards to the pull ups, that is another reason crossfit loses credibility out there. If someone doesn't understand a kipping pull up, then they are going to discredit the workout.

Also, crossfit people tend to have a negative attitude for people at Globo gyms, and I think that comes from a conceited mindset of thinking that their workout isn't as good as ours. I don't think any person who works out should be judged by another. Everyone has different a goals and objectives. Who cares how the person wants to workout. I'd like to see the Globo gym forum that has a thread on why crossfit people hate Globo gyms.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #52
Dan Douglas
Member Dan Douglas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami  FL
Posts: 153
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Oh yes, the pull ups. Not ony do they look weird, but you cant just tell people "I can do 90 pull ups" and not specify they are kips, it just makes a crossfitter sound like a bull****ter to anyone who even remembers the presidential fitness challenge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #53
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Austin you do see the hypocrisy in calling anyone who takes a picture lifting a ski "Stupid" and then saying CF'ers are arrogant to judge Globo Gym folks...

There are some people who hate everything. Not everyone can even agree to love Julianna Guill, which is crazy.

I guess to me this is a who cares kind of thing because it's just how the world is.
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #54
Nik Nichols
Member Nik Nichols is offline
 
Nik Nichols's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Quinlan  TX
Posts: 21,382
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Austin you do see the hypocrisy in calling anyone who takes a picture lifting a ski "Stupid" and then saying CF'ers are arrogant to judge Globo Gym folks...

There are some people who hate everything. Not everyone can even agree to love Julianna Guill, which is crazy.

I guess to me this is a who cares kind of thing because it's just how the world is.
This. and What kills me is people whe get on this site and bashes it. Whay bother, why even get on here and hate? If ''you'' don't like it, don't bother with it. If you do welcome. In every group there are cool people and jerks, deal with it or move on.

Even more to my point is a thread on here of a guy asking for a good workout site. I link him to the mainpage and get nothing but every other site gets a reply. Eh. I try to keep my head on my own plan and take everything else whth a grain of salt.
__________________
49/M/5'7''/175lbs ''Take pain.'' quote: Mr Jenkins

Last edited by Nik Nichols : 10-02-2012 at 12:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #55
Clint Harris
Member Clint Harris is offline
 
Clint Harris's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlanta  GA
Posts: 815
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Benson View Post
One reason Crossfit bothers me is due to the huge amount of people who feel the need to post pictures of themselves doing lifts with random objects, such as Jane Doe doing a snatch with a water ski or a stick. Or John Doe doing pull ups on a cruise ship and then posting the picture and saying "Crossfit can be done anywhere." When I see these pictures, I just think that these people are stupid.
Ditto. How about the handstand photos (be it freestanding or against something) .... everywhere .... that and hashtag every subject one can think of with the picture.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #56
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Ditto. How about the handstand photos (be it freestanding or against something) .... everywhere .... that and hashtag every subject one can think of with the picture.
Not to play Dr. Phil...well maybe a little bit...But why does that bother you? What does someone who you know nothing about, maybe the person is a d bizag, maybe they are a cancer survivor, maybe they are a war hero, or maybe they are the stereotypical CF Tool...but why would that bother you?

It's like I see on Facebook, videos posted of some kids in Florida or something digging through sand for a warm-up. But then the comments on the video are things like, "What a bunch of a-holes".

Honestly that seems ridiculous to me. I doubt the people commenting know anything about any of those people. Maybe it is a poor workout routine to dig through sand...I wouldn't do it personally. But to call people you don't know stupid or a-holes is...it's just odd. It makes no sense.
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #57
Paul Victor French
Member Paul Victor French is offline
 
Paul Victor French's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kitchener  ON Canada
Posts: 530
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Not to play Dr. Phil...well maybe a little bit...But why does that bother you? What does someone who you know nothing about, maybe the person is a d bizag, maybe they are a cancer survivor, maybe they are a war hero, or maybe they are the stereotypical CF Tool...but why would that bother you?

It's like I see on Facebook, videos posted of some kids in Florida or something digging through sand for a warm-up. But then the comments on the video are things like, "What a bunch of a-holes".

Honestly that seems ridiculous to me. I doubt the people commenting know anything about any of those people. Maybe it is a poor workout routine to dig through sand...I wouldn't do it personally. But to call people you don't know stupid or a-holes is...it's just odd. It makes no sense.
Agreed

I think calling them tools or whatever for taking pics like that is kind of along the same lines of why people dislike crossfit so much.

Honestly, just let it go....unless they are in your face about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #58
Mauricio Leal
Affiliate Mauricio Leal is offline
 
Mauricio Leal's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland  CA
Posts: 839
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

What's the opposite of love? Hate? No. Indifference. If people really just loathed CF and that was it, they could/would just ignore it and do their own thing quietly. I suspect many do. I think what really grinds vocal peoples' gears is that love it or hate, CF is increasingly popular, so to ignore it is to be on the outside looking in if one is the least bit socially aware. And they, for whatever reason, hate not being in. So, trolling, etc.
__________________
CrossFit Cypher
www.crossfitcypher.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #59
Jesse Martin
Member Jesse Martin is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moscow  PA
Posts: 218
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Not to play Dr. Phil...well maybe a little bit...But why does that bother you? What does someone who you know nothing about, maybe the person is a d bizag, maybe they are a cancer survivor, maybe they are a war hero, or maybe they are the stereotypical CF Tool...but why would that bother you?

It's like I see on Facebook, videos posted of some kids in Florida or something digging through sand for a warm-up. But then the comments on the video are things like, "What a bunch of a-holes".

Honestly that seems ridiculous to me. I doubt the people commenting know anything about any of those people. Maybe it is a poor workout routine to dig through sand...I wouldn't do it personally. But to call people you don't know stupid or a-holes is...it's just odd. It makes no sense.
Well, to be fair, when things like this pop up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU

I can kind of see how people would form an opinion. For the record I don't know anyone in that video but I can say with certainty that I fully believe the trainer who was supervising that is incompetent. No, this video doesn't speak to the community as a whole but it doesn't exactly earn it a good reputation either and that is just one example of complete idiocy being publicized around the CF name. Not that you can't find videos of complete idiocy is EVERY globo gym...the difference is globo gyms don't have a brand name attached.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #60
Ryan Dell Whitley
Member Ryan Dell Whitley is offline
 
Ryan Dell Whitley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville  TN
Posts: 117
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

I think that constantly arguing that CrossFit produces more "fitness" than any other system probably hurts. Especially when CrossFit feels that they have a patent on the definition of "fitness." And when others can show that a different system can also increase "fitness" as much or more than CrossFit then that different system must be either a) CrossFit under a different name or b) derivative of CrossFit.

It's all very lame...
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I hate Crossfit Joshua Yuhas Starting 19 03-08-2012 09:05 PM
I HATE RUNNING!!!-Ultramarathon/Crossfit Endurance Training Log Michael J Beggs Workout Logs 123 08-09-2011 03:47 PM
Why do people hate Crossfit? Jorge Montesinos Community 126 07-24-2009 07:15 AM
P90X vs CrossFit...hate to see this stuff Dean Bozzano Fitness 27 02-11-2009 05:32 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.