CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #111
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Martin View Post
Are people who do CF an exception to this rule?
Did someone say they are?

- Mark
Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #112
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Martin View Post
Most real bodybuilders have there head screwed on pretty straight in terms of training and definitely diet (more so then any athlete).

I think you are referring to the wanna be abercrombie model, every day is arm day broski...

trust me...bodybuilders hate that dude too.
There's a TON of back and forth after this post, sorry to dig in so far back...but Jesse

If you replace bodybuilders with Crossfitter and substitute what most folks wouldn't like about BB and replace it with CF...you'd be preaching to yourself.

Bottom line CF has entirely TOO BIG of a following now to be considered cookie cutter. I can take you to 10 different CF gyms here in San Diego and you'd see 10 VERY different programs.

This thread is pointless in the end. People hate for a variety of reasons, some may be valid, some may not.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #113
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Every group has its share of people that make the group look bad. Just look at the "seen the globo gym" thread. People curling in the squat rack. I HATE that. If it's light enough to curl it's light enough to pick up off the damn ground. So I hate it, but past that what else is there to hate? The person may or may not be a "body builder" but most likely they're just a normal person that doesn't easily identify with any specific group. So what am I to think "psh, stupid exerciser"?

Now example 2. I'm working out at a place that is not a CF gym, but has the equipment to do it and is CF friendly. A guy and a few of his buddies come in decked out in their Reebok Nanos, name brand fight shorts, CF T-shirts, the works. They then start to do a WOD that involves overhead squats. I watch one of them load a bar with 1, 10 pound pendlay bumber on each side, 1 STEEL 10 pound plate on each side, and a STEEL 5 pound plate on each side. After every set of god awful overhead squats for the next 20 minutes he drops the bar from overhead over and over and over again just pancaking these bumpers. I mean folding them in half and destroying them. No regard for the equipment or the fact that other people might like to use those after his workout.

In example number 2 it's easy for ANYONE to look at that and say "ugh, f****** cross fitters." Does this guy represent the CF community as a whole? Of course not, but he does easily identify with a very specific group of people. If some idiot does something dumb at the local Y he's just an idiot who did something dumb. But if someone doing crossfit does something stupid then they're a dumb crossfiter and crossfit takes the hit along with them.

That's part of the reason I think it gets so much hate. It's "something" to hate instead of just an individual to point and laugh at.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #114
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I am not hating. Just posting so Matt Thomas can see me pimp my new avatar Smolov brotherhood unite against this tyranny!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #115
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I am not hating. Just posting so Matt Thomas can see me pimp my new avatar Smolov brotherhood unite against this tyranny!
Just thought I would say Bill, that that is an excellent new avatar.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #116
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Pearse, I found it here! WFS
Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #117
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Pearse, I found it here! WFS
That's a Youtube link! I know better than that! My mother told me about guys like you!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #118
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Ahaah awesome avatar
Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #119
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I dunno Frances classic picture of a StrongMan wearing a cod-piece is hard to beat.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #120
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
There's a TON of back and forth after this post, sorry to dig in so far back...but Jesse

If you replace bodybuilders with Crossfitter and substitute what most folks wouldn't like about BB and replace it with CF...you'd be preaching to yourself.

Bottom line CF has entirely TOO BIG of a following now to be considered cookie cutter. I can take you to 10 different CF gyms here in San Diego and you'd see 10 VERY different programs.

This thread is pointless in the end. People hate for a variety of reasons, some may be valid, some may not.
I don't disagree at all. I was simply commenting to the poster who was using a broad brush to paint a picture of what BBers are like. The same thing obviously can be said for CF.