CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Tyler Crosby

Profile:
Ok Stength program with some curiosities

Hello All! To give you a little background I have been Crossfitting for over two years now and LOVE I mean LOVE IT! I initially got into it for the fitness / weightloss aspect. At 5'11" I went from 215 down to 165lbs relatively quickly and had huge gains with my WOD times etc. Over the last few months I have been delving into some strength programs to improve my weakness. I settled on 531 because I like Jim's overall methodology and idea. I tinkered with some different 531 / MetCon approaches and realized that cutting my MetCons completely out of my strenght days were my only way not to overtrain. I have been having success with the program but have recently been concerned about weight gain. I slid off my Paleo style (not strict) eating and have moved more into an eat big lift heavy attitude. I still try to eat clean but am not nearly as concerned as I once was. I am still eating about 6 times a day but im throwing protein shakes in and post WOD recovery. I work offshore and am currently two weeks into a 6 week hitch on a very small rig that only has weights and an area for pullups. Unfortunately I do not have access to much cardio here other than my MetCons and when the weather cooperates jump rope. Like I said before I have been having some pretty decent strength gains but have noticed some overall weight gain. I am gaining muscle (I can tell because my shirts are tight on the top but also my pants are getting a little tighter and not just in the legs. So my question is do I continue eating big for strength and just go with the flow on my weight gain and then clean up the diet after a few rounds of 531 or should I try cutting back on the grub and risk losing some of the strength gains? One thing to add is my overall MetCon's have actually improved though they seem a bit more difficult because I'm not doing them as often but my times, reps, weights and rounds seem better. I know this is a long drawn out and probably pointless post but mentally its tough because I got into this initially for weightloss its hard to switch gears and back it back on especially without the ability to or row. Again sorry for the long post and please be kind were sensitive out here Oh and my position out here is not one on the floor I sit 12 hours a day in an office and occasionally get to go walk around
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Ok Stength program with some curiosities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Crosby View Post
Hello All! To give you a little background I have been Crossfitting for over two years now and LOVE I mean LOVE IT! I initially got into it for the fitness / weightloss aspect. At 5'11" I went from 215 down to 165lbs relatively quickly and had huge gains with my WOD times etc. Over the last few months I have been delving into some strength programs to improve my weakness. I settled on 531 because I like Jim's overall methodology and idea. I tinkered with some different 531 / MetCon approaches and realized that cutting my MetCons completely out of my strenght days were my only way not to overtrain. I have been having success with the program but have recently been concerned about weight gain. I slid off my Paleo style (not strict) eating and have moved more into an eat big lift heavy attitude. I still try to eat clean but am not nearly as concerned as I once was. I am still eating about 6 times a day but im throwing protein shakes in and post WOD recovery. I work offshore and am currently two weeks into a 6 week hitch on a very small rig that only has weights and an area for pullups. Unfortunately I do not have access to much cardio here other than my MetCons and when the weather cooperates jump rope. Like I said before I have been having some pretty decent strength gains but have noticed some overall weight gain. I am gaining muscle (I can tell because my shirts are tight on the top but also my pants are getting a little tighter and not just in the legs. So my question is do I continue eating big for strength and just go with the flow on my weight gain and then clean up the diet after a few rounds of 531 or should I try cutting back on the grub and risk losing some of the strength gains? One thing to add is my overall MetCon's have actually improved though they seem a bit more difficult because I'm not doing them as often but my times, reps, weights and rounds seem better. I know this is a long drawn out and probably pointless post but mentally its tough because I got into this initially for weightloss its hard to switch gears and back it back on especially without the ability to or row. Again sorry for the long post and please be kind were sensitive out here Oh and my position out here is not one on the floor I sit 12 hours a day in an office and occasionally get to go walk around

You should do what you want to do. In other words, if you don't mind adding some body fat what you are doing now will add the most lean muscle. If you cut back the cals a bit you will likely mitigate your muscle gains a bit, but you will also reduce your fat gains.

If you want to count cals you can have the best of both worlds.