CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #21
Collin Thompson

Profile:
Re: What strength program to follow?

Did I miss why you only have a certain amount of time at your gym? And how's your form?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #22
Peyton Aubin

Profile:

I can only afford two months as of now but I'm really trying to get my dad started on crossfit and hopefully if he likes it he'll join and pay for a few more months for me. I can't be 100% sure my form is fine but I've read a lot and watched lots of videos before going to the gym. I also asked a few of the muscle heads there and they said they saw nothing wrong.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #24
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton Aubin View Post
I like to think I'm taking care of nutrition and rest. I do my best to eat healthy all day long and drink as much milk as I can, and I get a good 8 or 9 hour sleep every night. What do you think I should do if I do stall out early? Could it be that I am starting with too much weight?
Well yeah, if you start out too heavy you may stall out early, but as long as you keep the jumps to 5lbs per workout you should be able to keep it up for awhile. If you do hit a stalling point, just do a 10% reset like they explain in the SS book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton Aubin View Post
I can only afford two months as of now but I'm really trying to get my dad started on crossfit and hopefully if he likes it he'll join and pay for a few more months for me. I can't be 100% sure my form is fine but I've read a lot and watched lots of videos before going to the gym. I also asked a few of the muscle heads there and they said they saw nothing wrong.
They may or may not know what good form looks like. Post some video on here in the digital coaching form and you can get feedback.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #25
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
I can only afford two months as of now
Save up and buy one of those 300lb Olympic Barbell Plate sets (not bumpers) at your local sports store. Usually go for around 200 bucks. Make some ghetto concrete wood squat stands and call it good.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #26
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Play It Again also usually has great deals on weight sets.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #27
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
That's a bad sign. The first few workouts shouldn't feel too difficult--if you are already struggling to grind out your 3x5s you'll probably stall prematurely. Make sure you're doing some mobility work and eating plenty, the good thing about being young is that your body is primed for growth and recovery if you do things right.
If you haven't done focused strength work in a while (or ever) that first week will kill you. I started GSLP at 95# after a 7 month break from all lifting... I was sore for a week though I had squatted 235# right before taking the break.

My father in law was recovering from a horrible accident/hip surgery and he had more mobility than I did for a few days.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Agreed--I've had awful DOMS after my first squat day following even just a week off from training, but the OP seemed to be indicating that he felt wiped out right after finishing the workout. Big difference there.