CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
After Linda absolutely destroyed me, my lower back was sore the following day. I figured this was just the muscle (erector spine or somesuch) recovering, as with any muscle the day after a hard workout. But there is still some soreness in my lower back today, two days after Linda.

My question: does this mean I'm rounding my back or doing something else wrong on my deadlifts, or can it sometimes take two days for a muscle to recover after a particularly hard workout?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
That's fine.

When I heavy deadlift after not DLing for a long time I'm often sore for a week in my lower back. Depends on diet, conditioning level, sleep patterns, etc. but it's perfectly possible to be sore for 5+ days.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:
It's true. I armwrestled on Sunday and my arm was sore until about Friday.

Two days would actually seem quite reasonable for muscle soreness recovery.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
The lower back takes a long time to recover from heavy work. It's not like it gets complete rest when you're not lifting, you're using it all the time. I find I need a week off from heavy back work before I can do it again...although I can get some lighter work in there 3-4 days after I lift. So I do my 3x5 Deadlifts on Monday, and then I may do back extensions on the floor, dumbell swings, or some other "posterior chain" type exercise on Thursday or Friday. So I don't your situation is abnormal at all.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Sometimes my soreness first peak on the 4th day ... so it might become even worse ;)
Old 07-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
I'm glad to hear this isn't abnormal. But, geez. 4, 5 days? Does the CrossFit regimen worry about overworking muscles?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:
Joe:

That's why there's scaling if your performance is decreasing drastically. Otherwise, the high frequency is an excellent method to build high GPP and continued strength gains.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
Shawn Bailey

Profile:
Every time I do Linda my lower back is very sore for at least a couple days, more so than any other WOD. I had to stop a fews time during the 400 meter runs and back extensions WOD that was posted a couple days after Linda, my back was knotting up on me because it was still sore.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
Jenika Gordon

Profile:
does anyone have any suggestions to what I should and should not do with a lower back injury caused by a gymastic fall. my clients back was injured 10 years ago due to falling on his back on the handle of the gymnastic horse when he was trying to flip over it. he is currently overweight with most of his fat in his belly and has a tendency to get lower back pain above the sacrum. Any suggestions? I have been getting him to deadlift light, but this seems to still bother it.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:
lol, funny you mention that because I actually was doing pommel horse once and spun out and whacked my lower back on the pommel horse. It actually cut my spinal erector in half or something. I can push on one side of it and it moves in while the other side stays out. Anyway, it started hurting a lot until I started deadlifting more. Build up the back strength and it's fine. This basically means I have to do lower back strengthening for the rest of my life. It also caused an imbalance in my back (or maybe it was that and scoliosis -- not sure) which sucks.

Diet will be the key to lose the fat. Metcon will help... but you're going to need to start getting him to strengthen his lower back. DLs will do that among other exercises like hyperextensions.