CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #51
Boris Lau

Profile:
Re: Final games thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
I though the biking was awesome and cannot wait for the Eliptical event in the 2012 games where you are only allowed to get off when you "feel the deep burn in your glutes"

Seriously though, the bike was a deadset joke. If you are going to have a bike in the Crossfit Games then do a long endurance event like a 15km bike ride through the bush, and finish with a run or obstical course or something that is interesting and gets the endurance event out the way. (Road biking is more boring than watching paint dry and I hope HQ NEVER EVER puts this into the Games)
Well an Australian, Cadel Evans, just won the 2011 Tour de France and apparently he's some national hero now. Shows quite a few people (me included) enjoy watching road biking.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #52
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post
Well an Australian, Cadel Evans, just won the 2011 Tour de France and apparently he's some national hero now. Shows quite a few people (me included) enjoy watching road biking.
Thats because it was a phenominal performance.
I just do not want a boring 40km road bike to come into crossfit. Not to mention I find the lycra that cyclists seem to wear a bit

Besides a cycle does not prove fitness any better than a long row or run so why use it?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #53
Ben Norris

Profile:

Besides cycling is not exaclty a movement we were meant to do. Running, Squatting, pullups, deadlifts and so on are movements that have been programmed into our DNA. Cycling is not. Just like smith machine presses and 20 minutes of "fat burning" elipical work is not which is why we do not do them in Crossfit
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #54
Ross Dijulio

Profile:

i don't understand everyone on the biking event. what makes it different than rowing....and anyways did you guys miss the monkey bar part? i thought that was the coolest part of the entire games...especially when bridges did it
Old 08-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #55
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Besides cycling is not exaclty a movement we were meant to do. Running, Squatting, pullups, deadlifts and so on are movements that have been programmed into our DNA. Cycling is not. Just like smith machine presses and 20 minutes of "fat burning" elipical work is not which is why we do not do them in Crossfit
HA! But SDLHPs, GHD sit-ups, flying kipping muscle ups, l-sits, overhead squats, walking upside down on your hands.... These things are all programmerd into our DNA?
Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #56
Boris Lau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Dijulio View Post
i don't understand everyone on the biking event. what makes it different than rowing....and anyways did you guys miss the monkey bar part? i thought that was the coolest part of the entire games...especially when bridges did it
Agreed, what makes the stationary bike any different from the rowing machine? I think it was a good test of fitness and work capacity.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #57
Eric Doolittle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
BIKING: Yes, it was the most boring ever but you can't have them going around a track together. What happens when one person collides with another? Is the first less fit because he got slammed into by someone who sucks at biking? So, either ditch the bike OR have them go 1 at a time, time trial style.
What happens if you have an open water swim and some dude gets kicked in the head and busts an eardrum? Oh, wait...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #58
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
BIKING: Yes, it was the most boring ever but you can't have them going around a track together. What happens when one person collides with another? Is the first less fit because he got slammed into by someone who sucks at biking? So, either ditch the bike OR have them go 1 at a time, time trial style.

-Wish Mikko could have continued. He was missed.
I'm going to try to not be an *******, but you saying that you wish Mikko could have continued makes me very confused by your first statement up there. That is EXACTLY what happened to Mikko... (supposedly) So why aren't you all jazzed up against the swim event since it openly allowed injuries/danger?

Even the past runs had instances of guys getting shoved and falling down the slopes. All sport has contact. Don't put these guys in a bubble.

Last edited by Matthew Swartz : 08-03-2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Eric and I think alike.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #59
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i like froning being open about his faith.

thought the whole competition was really good. liked the events, except softball throw. too sport specific. results may have been very different if throwing a football, a javelin, etc.

wasn't too happy with the coverage or updates

agree with wanting the athletes to have to think more. events that they can compete in any order would be good. maybe even two events that they can complete in any order and choose which to do first.

still don't understand why can't see coverage of first event?

appreciate all the folks that kept the updates coming
Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #60
Steven Ngo

Profile:

My problem with stationary bike and rowing machine from a spectator perspective is that you can't see where one competitor is relative to another.

With something like the monkey bars, the crowd could see something like Chan being ahead and then Bridges blowing by him and the crowd goes nuts! (Or Barber pulling the sled past Khalipa; or Sakamoto pushing the sled to catch up from behind to tie Bazinet.)

If they can somehow display calorie / distance of the rower or bike up so where the audience can see, then maybe it becomes more interesting.

(BTW, those three examples above are probably my top 3 moments of the Games. At least until I get through the rest of the archives.)