CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
Competing While Sick

This may be in the wrong section but I figured it has a lot to do with fitness so I'd put it here.
Anyhow. There is a competition going down today in Canada called the intergalactic throwdown and I was set to compete in a box here in Winnipeg. On Thursday I woke up with a nasty cold that progressively got worse till today. I waited until this morning to decide but I ended up pulling out of the competition because my head really hurts and I only managed to get 2 hours of sleep last night (when I get sick, sleep is the first thing to go which is silly because I know it's what I need). I got there this morning to tell them I wouldn't be competing and I was tempted to just do it anyways. The WOD's were pretty heavy though and I figured with how much I ache everywhere I was probably compromised physically and the last thing I wanted to do was pull something or injure myself.
So here's my question as I'm new to this whole competition thing, did I make a good decision? Do you guys have anything to say on how sickness affects you're performance and recovery? Do you guys continue to workout even when you get sick or do you just do active rest kinda stuff? I figured maybe one workout would have been alright but I didn't know how well I would recover during a day of multiple workouts. I'm in this for long term health, competition is just a fun aside for me so I figured I would back out to fight another day kind of thing, I'm really not down with trashing my body now and paying for it later in life.
I tend to only get sick once a year if even, kinda hilarious how I got sick right before a big competition. But throwdowns are happening all the time so there will always be another chance.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: Competing While Sick

I think you've answered your own question. If you weren't feeling well you wouldn't have performed optimally anyway, and you would have absolutely felt horrible after. You need to give your immune system a break when you're sick, not beat the crap out of yourself.

Good decision.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I think you made a good call. You want your recover ability in your immune system. Further depleting with multiple WODs could have been poor-performing at best, and dangerous at worst.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Todd Rehm

Profile:

Not to mention the risk of passing on your illness to others.

I used to go to a CF gym where one of the guys was a kidney transplant recipient who will always be on immuno-suppressing drugs. He's meticulous about keeping clean, not shaking hands with people who have colds, etc., but knowing that about him, I wouldn't have gone to the gym if I had a cold.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Is there a gold medal or a shot at the Olympics on the line? Then maybe. Otherwise, stay home.

Katherine
Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Is there a gold medal or a shot at the Olympics on the line? Then maybe. Otherwise, stay home.

Katherine
^^

If training is your career then it would be a good idea to workout.

If training is your hobby then no
Old 02-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

I thought I saw you there in the morning, Jordan! It was a really good time, well designed wods, lots of energy, but good decision.

I haven't had anything really bad happen from working out sick but it often prolongs the illness. As in...I'm not 100% better but maybe I'll try Grace anyway...and then I'm stuck in bed for another 5 days.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Think i just read somewhere that cardio helps promote immune funtion, but decreases it post work out for a short duration while you begin to recover. So I think you did right by yourself.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Ya, I'm feelin much better now though I still have the residual effects of being sick present. Lost some weight, feelin slow, body feels weak. Pssssshhhhhhhhhh... The eternal struggle to improve.
Work an work an work an work an work an then... lose it over the weekend.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #10
Meghan Reid

Profile:

You didn't lose it. When you are *really* well, as long as you are letting yourself rest properly, the strength/workout ability will come back.

If you're still feeling weak, your body is not at 100% yet.