CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Scott Ichiiwa

Profile:
reverse hypers

Reverse hypers seem so damn expensive for what seems to be a simple machine.
however i do want one......

Any one have insight of these?

anywhere they have them for better prices?

is the 700 rogue one inferior to the simmons ultra or pro one?

any info would be great.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: reverse hypers

I have a Rogue Reverse Hyper. I have never used any other mode to comparel. It is very sturdy, is of commercial gym quality. I believe it might not have as high a weight capacity compared to the really expensive models, but so far it has met my needs. It really hits the lower back and when I've tweaked something or feel my back tightening up, I might do a couple sets with a low weight to loosen it up, stretch it out.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
Scot McKinnon

Profile:

We have two at our gym. One is the basic model and we have one of the mack daddy upgraded ones where the platform tilts and all that. Both are great, but you can really tell the difference in the upgrade. There are more options and it is very smooth compared to the other one. Again both are good to go though.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Brian Carver

Profile:

I've never used an "official" reverse hyper, but I bought one from Outlaw Strength for <$1000. The thing is a monster and effectively has no weight limit. I love it. It's different from the Rogue and newer Legend RH's, in that it still uses a strap instead of the rollers. Depending on how you load it up and how strict you are using it, you can really hammer your spinal erectors or your glutes and hamstrings. My back gets pretty beat up from scrummaging in rugby games (I'm a prop) and a couple minutes on this does wonders for me. If you can afford a reverse hyper, its a really great tool.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I would say so far the Rogue Reverse Hyper has been great and it hits more of the lower back then the hammies and glutes (but still hits those too).

I think the strap models are better for hammies.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Have you ever tried any of the ghetto reverse hypers posted on youtube? It's a pretty simple concept. http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rse+hyper&aq=f (WFS)

I tried a few methods the other day and they felt pretty reasonable. I've never tried a real one though so I can't say if it's as effective. It seemed to be hitting the same areas though.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 12-25-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Double Post.

Oh well, here's another one with a couple good ideas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3akubwG_oQY (WFS)

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 12-25-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Matt,
The two vids you linked are reasonable subs but don't match the movement 100%. So if I didn't have one, I'd definitly do something like the vids. I used to do them off of big exercise ball similar to the 2nd vid. But there is a difference. I see 3 major limitations to the vids shonw:

1.) In both configurations you'd be limited by the amount of weight you could revese hyper. I think it would be hard to strap 100lbs or more to your legs in the fashion they demonstrated. I'm easily using 120lbs for 15-20reps and I'm of moderate strength/fitness.

2.) Range of motion is limited. To really open up the back on the eccentric portion of the movement, you should be able to see the edge of the plates or your feet when you look down in front of you. In the first vid off the bar, he has to cut the movement short just in front of his hips. In the second, his box gets in the way. Also in the second, he hyperextends his back. Just reach neutral posture then go back down.

3.) Comfort. The pelvis and often the man parts can get a little mashed in this movement if you don't set up right. Using a bar can put a lot of force on the man zone even with some padding. 2nd setup appears a little easier on the body.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Thanks for the info Robert. Good points. I only loaded them with 1 pallet band since I was just trying it out for the first time. But I could see how that would get pretty uncomfortable/unwieldy with a significant load.

Laying over our GHD (facing the reverse direction) seemed the most reasonable since it already had a pad made to save your man parts

Here's another example with just a bench and a swiss ball. http://grapplerstrength.com/110/reve...th-mini-bands/ (WFS)
Old 12-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Using the GHD backwards isn't a bad idea, as long as you are short enough. I probably am. Just be careful not to hit the GHD support posts.

-Bob