CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:17 AM   #11
Doug Lantz

Profile:
Re: Conjugate CF article

Thanks for those replies, as I said I think others will benefit from them also.

Here's 2 more -

1) How do recommend working up to a 1 RM ?

Meaning how many sets to get there and what percentage of the 1RM per set.

2) What percentage of the total weight should a trainee use on the bands ?
Both at the bottom of the lift and the top.

I recall reading that a higher percentage of weight could be the bands or the weight on the bar but can't recall the rationale for either.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #12
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Here's are questions that I've had:

Would pure bodyweight WODs be more preferable over ones with weights involved?

As you said, it seems like during this phase of training, the WOD is primarily used for conditioning and raising/maintaining GPP, and bodyweight movements in high reps would definitely keep endurance up, as well as allow for continuous power output. Just a though.

Also, what are your thoughts on using the ME movement in WODs? Would you rather avoid it (e.g. ME movement being the deadlift, don't do WODs that feature the deadlift as a primary exercise)? Would it be more productive to use ME-list movements that are NOT the focused ME exercise for the 3 week cycle?

And this one doesn't necessary have to deal with programming much, but from your experience, what would you say is one of the best subs for a reverse hyper? My school doesn't have one, and we don't have a GHD either. I've gone out to the play ground, laid down on the monkey bars with my feet dangling, and pushed out a few reps (sometimes with a ligh band strapped from a bar and to my feet). This works... but is VERY uncomfortable. I know one of the major benefits is the gapping force in the spine to restore spinal functionality, but aside from that, what exercise would mimic the training effect of the reverse hyper?

Lastly, can you post a link to a dumbbell tricep rollback? I couldn't seem to find a good video of it.

Thanks again!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lantz View Post
Thanks for those replies, as I said I think others will benefit from them also.

Here's 2 more -

1) How do recommend working up to a 1 RM ?

Meaning how many sets to get there and what percentage of the 1RM per set.

2) What percentage of the total weight should a trainee use on the bands ?
Both at the bottom of the lift and the top.

I recall reading that a higher percentage of weight could be the bands or the weight on the bar but can't recall the rationale for either.
1) That depends on your level of strength development. The stronger you get the more warm-up that is required. For box squatting I might do the following (wearing briefs):

1 plate per side - 5 reps
2 plates - 3 reps
3 plates - 3 reps
4 plates - 3 reps
5 plates - 2 reps
6 plates - 1 rep
7 plates - 1 rep
1RM attempt

For benching I would use less warm-ups. So, the total load is part of the equation.

2) Bands are not figured as a percent of the load. They are their own variable and will depend on what the trainee wants to do that day. Individual PRs are set with varying bands and combinations of bands.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Here's are questions that I've had:

Would pure bodyweight WODs be more preferable over ones with weights involved?

As you said, it seems like during this phase of training, the WOD is primarily used for conditioning and raising/maintaining GPP, and bodyweight movements in high reps would definitely keep endurance up, as well as allow for continuous power output. Just a though.

Also, what are your thoughts on using the ME movement in WODs? Would you rather avoid it (e.g. ME movement being the deadlift, don't do WODs that feature the deadlift as a primary exercise)? Would it be more productive to use ME-list movements that are NOT the focused ME exercise for the 3 week cycle?

And this one doesn't necessary have to deal with programming much, but from your experience, what would you say is one of the best subs for a reverse hyper? My school doesn't have one, and we don't have a GHD either. I've gone out to the play ground, laid down on the monkey bars with my feet dangling, and pushed out a few reps (sometimes with a ligh band strapped from a bar and to my feet). This works... but is VERY uncomfortable. I know one of the major benefits is the gapping force in the spine to restore spinal functionality, but aside from that, what exercise would mimic the training effect of the reverse hyper?

Lastly, can you post a link to a dumbbell tricep rollback? I couldn't seem to find a good video of it.

Thanks again!
I don't think you are going to mimic it very well without getting pretty creative. No worries, substitute it with another posterior chain exercise that you can do at your gym. By the way, you can do GHRs on the floor with someone holding your feet.

I will take of video of them (rollbacks) and try to do it tomorrow.

Pure body weight WODs are fine, but not necessary. The WOD exercises can be same as your ME work if done light loads.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #15
Doug Lantz

Profile:

How much rest do you recommend between the assistance exercise sets ?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #16
Chris Mason

Profile:

Doug,

Not much. I would say a minute or so.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #17
James Orr

Profile:

Thanks for your article, Chris. I've also been following the other current discussions.

I'm going to give this a go in January to start the year. I know the first three weeks are given to overhead pressing as the ME exercise, then weeks 4-10 are given to different bench press type movements. Will those carry over to my overhead stuff?

I'm interested in increasing my strength because my times at workouts like Fran are so slow. So whatever I end up doing, the point is to have more maximum strength and endurance when it comes to pull ups and overhead work.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #18
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Chris,

Without listing any names of course, do you have any results/data from the "elite crossfitter" using your template? I'm just wondering what sort of progress they have been making. Also, how long has he/she been following it?

How would o-lifting work fit in with your template? Light as a warm-up? Build up to a few moderate working sets? Okay to go heavy? Only during wods (at light weight)?

I just started it yesterday and will be keeping a detailed log of my progress.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 11-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Chris Mason

Profile:

The individual is not yet done with the program. We will see how they do once they are totally done. I can say PRs have already been set with no discernible decline in CF conditioning.

O lifts can be incorporated and would be done on CF WOD days. My preference is that the loads are kept at less than maximum (i.e. train to maintain technique but don't go balls out).
Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #20
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post

2) Bands are not figured as a percent of the load. They are their own variable and will depend on what the trainee wants to do that day. Individual PRs are set with varying bands and combinations of bands.
Are you saying that about DE days? Meaning, if you squat 300, and are doing a wave of 55%, 60%, 65%, you should do 165, 180, and 195 on the bar, and THEN add bands/chains? Or should the weight at the TOP, with all the extra band tension or chain weight equal 165, 180, or 195?