CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #91
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: abstinence and athletic performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rolfe View Post
My only contribution to this is that I ran a two minute PR on a 5k after having relations with my wife.

Take it for what its worth.
Perhaps I'll have to try that before my next 5k. ....but with my wife.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #92
John Rolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
Perhaps I'll have to try that before my next 5k. ....but with my wife.

Thats just good stuff right there!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #93
Steven Price

Profile:

For those who think "blue balls" is a myth, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_balls (wfs).

I don't know if those who think it is a myth have either been very lucky or very unlucky!

Last edited by Steven Price : 06-02-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Not appropriate.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #94
Nate Napolitano

Profile:

Seems like England manager Fabio Capello is buying into this, or maybe he just doesn't want his squad distracted during the World Cup

http://sify.com/sports/determined-ca...cquhaagia.html WFS
18/5'8/160#BS: 300 DL: 425 PC: 215 FS: 240 Fran: 4:14
My Log Level 1 Certified
Old 06-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #95
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"apello, 63, is desperate to avoid a repeat of the last World Cup in Germany where their boozy antics were blamed for ruining the team's chances of glory.

The Daily Star reports that he has hit his stars with a sex ban to ensure they are bursting with energy this time around. (ANI)
"

DOes any one else see the disconnect here?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #96
Ian Nigh

Profile:

"Sexual love can be one of the most powerful human experiences. Over the past two thousand years, certain Daoist and Tantric cultures sought to tap the power of sexuality to cultivate elevated spiritual states of awareness and achieve immortality. These practices appear to have originated in China and India and later spread to Tibet and elsewhere in Asia. Daoism and Tantrism are both experiential approaches to life, and share similar microcosmic-macrocosmic theories of the human body as an inner mirror of outer Nature. The body-centered cosmology of each has led to a spectrum of sexual practices that range from ritualized physical sexual intercourse to celibacy accompanied by conscious subtle-body love making." (Bokemkamp, 1997, 43; Wile 1992, 25, White, 2000, 15).

"Semen retention and recirculation of sexual energy (jingqi) in the Microcosmic Orbit (xiao zhoutian) is an essential practice in both Daoist and Tantric practice. Recent scholarship suggests the Orbit began as a sexual practice to rejuvenate the brain (huanjing bunaeo) two thousand years ago and evolved to become a spiritual practice as the qi was observed to spiral inside the body. (Pregadio, 2000, 427). Skill in semen retention is essential to the successful male practice of One Cloud's internal alchemy. Other systems of neidangong may require celibacy in the hope that it will result in the indirect or spontaneous redirection of sexual energy to the subtle bodies. But this is a hit or miss proposition, and can result instead in sexual repression. Non-celibacy requires a deliberate method of guaranteeing the sexual energy is recycled in the Orbit, which is later refined and taken up the central subtle body channel."

for more: http://www.universal-tao.com/article/quest.html (pretty esoteric, contains discussion of sexual practices, otherwise WFS).
Old 06-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #97
Tony Black

Profile:

I was about to quote you Ian and ask for rigourous peer reviewed scientific proof for all that. But then i realised i was talking to a KB swingin' crocodile
Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #98
Steven Price

Profile:

I think an interesting WOD would be to count the number of untested/untestable hypothesis in Ian's quotation.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #99
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

TOny,

DId you notice the bad wrist position for the kb lift?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #100
John Waickwicz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
So research seems to indicate that abstaining from ejaculation will tend to elevate testosterone levels for about 6 days, after which T levels will severely drop if ejaculation is not achieved. Research has also shown that intercourse elevates testosterone levels generally.
This would suggest to me that it is beneficial to engage in intercourse as often as possible, but only ejaculate about once a week or so...
I feel like that makes a lot of sense, well the first part anyways.