CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Re: Member is short short reping on WODs

I will caveat this by saying my box is a military affiliate and full of type A+ personalities. We correct each other right there on the spot, with things like:

"are you going to count that rep?"

"hey where are you going? that was only ##"

"do you REALLY think that's half your body weight?"

"you must have Tiny Heart Syndrome today"

and my own personal favorite

"that looked liked polio, you should do it again."

It's usually members keeping each other in line, although when it's a bunch of trainers working out together it can get merciless. This of course starts after the first-month benefit of the doubt grace period that new joins get. After that we play by big kid rules.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I would only directly address it with him if it was in competition.

Otherwise, I'd include something like "Squeeze every last rep out of it, gang" among the other voiced encouragements during the WOD. Generalize it and don't direct it at anyone in particular.

This worked with me last week in a different scenario. Our WOD included ManMakers, an exercise that I had never before done. I didn't know what weight dumbbell to choose, so when the owner said to the whole group, "Ten pounds is heavy" (something that surprised me) I took him at his word and just chose those. Once the WOD started, it was clear to us both that the 10-pounders weren't nearly enough, so rather than call me out as having wussed-out on the weight, he called out to the whole group that we should add an extra pushup or two to each ManMaker if we're finding it to be too easy. He could have embarrassed me by saying it straight to me by name, but he took the high road instead. I still got the message as if it had been directed right at me though.

Unless it's in competition, he's cheating nobody but himself. Encourage everyone publicly to give it their all, but if he insists on cheating himself out of the workout's benefits, that's his call. Eventually, he'll probably sense that others have caught on to his cheating, and he'll have to either fix it or deal with possibly being shunned/alienated by the rest of the group.

- Mark
Old 04-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I'm not sure I understand the issue. If you're shorting a rep it is not doing the excersize, just tell him what he's doing. If he doesn't, who really cares, the only person he's affecting is him.
I guess it depends on the persons attitude post-wod. If they're gloating about it and posturing like they're a big deal, it can be kind of disheartening to other people at the gym who notice they're not counting reps. If they just do the wod and move on and never talk about it, I suppose it doesn't matter.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
If they're gloating about it and posturing like they're a big deal, it can be kind of disheartening to other people at the gym who notice they're not counting reps.
Yeah, maybe, but -- thinking big-picture/long-term -- in the end the cheating will nearly always go from being the elephant in the room to being the issue that the "cheater" knows everyone knows about. My personal inclination is to just let it get to that point; i.e. make the "cheater" deal with the fact that everyone has come to know over time that he cheats. That doesn't get rid of the "disheartening" bit (which I agree can happen), but I think that's almost always going to be a very short-term issue.

- Mark
Old 04-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #15
Jonny Blaylock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I'm not sure I understand the issue. If you're shorting a rep it is not doing the excersize, just tell him what he's doing. If he doesn't, who really cares, the only person he's affecting is him.
I agree with this post. Why beat around the bush? I'd pull him aside, tell him what he's doing so that there is no point in him denying it, and tell him that if he won't stop then his times won't count or be logged or whatever.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #16
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
I guess it depends on the persons attitude post-wod. If they're gloating about it and posturing like they're a big deal, it can be kind of disheartening to other people at the gym who notice they're not counting reps. If they just do the wod and move on and never talk about it, I suppose it doesn't matter.
Disheartening? I'd say rather the opposite: If he's gloating about bogus times, he practically guarantees that someone will get annoyed enough to call him on it.

Just make sure a judge watches him if you have competitions, even if the prize is only bragging rights.

Katherine
Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Just make sure a judge watches him if you have competitions, even if the prize is only bragging rights.
Isn't the idea behind posting times on a whiteboard/blog that every WOD is a competition both with yourself and with the folks you are working out with?

You also should consider if they're fairly new/deconditioned they may feel like the WOD's as Rx'd are too much and you should present scaling to them as appropriate. Don't know if that is the case here.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #18
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Isn't the idea behind posting times on a whiteboard/blog that every WOD is a competition both with yourself and with the folks you are working out with"

I've never thought this was a good idea and it leads to over training and the shennaigans we are talking about here.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kirkland View Post
Isn't the idea behind posting times on a whiteboard/blog that every WOD is a competition both with yourself and with the folks you are working out with?
If that's your approach, then you should watch this guy every single workout.

But I was actually thinking more along the lines of the weekend throw downs some gyms have, qualifiers for an affiliate team, that sort of thing.

Katherine
Old 04-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #20
Damon Stewart

Profile:

We had that happen recently. I just put parentheses around the members scores for a couple of days. When he finally asked why all of his scores were in () I told him that until he learned to count and breathe at the same time we couldn't post his scores as "Rx'ed." He's gotten better although he cannot go on the glory board without a trainer counting his reps. We also () scores with crappy ROM. Learned it from Skip at FRCF, it's been a great motivator and is rarely needed.