CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #21
Eugene Goldashkin

Profile:
Re: Can one still gain SOME muscle with poor sleep?

yes you can, When i started crossfit i was only sleeping on an avergae of 4-5 nights a week and on those nights i slept anywere from 4-6 hours, and i gained lots of muscle. But i was eating anywere from 2500-4000 calories a day. Now that my scedule had normalized and i sleep over 8 hours i have noticed that i workout better and have gained more muscle even though i work out less, but now i consume on an avergae about 4000-4500 calories a day and No im not gaining any fat. Just add more eggs to your diet i eat anywhere from 6-12 eggs a day and drink 1/4-3/4gal of whole milk a day.

i used to have a problem with falling asleep i realized this was mostly do to sitting at a computer before going to bed. I have also found mint tea to help tramedously. Also a nice bath is very calming. One other thing is try and keep your thoughts to a minimum when you have already layed down, dont try to plan out tomorrow when you have gone to bed. It worked for me
Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #22
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Goldashkin View Post
yes you can, When i started crossfit i was only sleeping on an avergae of 4-5 nights a week and on those nights i slept anywere from 4-6 hours, and i gained lots of muscle. But i was eating anywere from 2500-4000 calories a day. Now that my scedule had normalized and i sleep over 8 hours i have noticed that i workout better and have gained more muscle even though i work out less, but now i consume on an avergae about 4000-4500 calories a day and No im not gaining any fat. Just add more eggs to your diet i eat anywhere from 6-12 eggs a day and drink 1/4-3/4gal of whole milk a day.

i used to have a problem with falling asleep i realized this was mostly do to sitting at a computer before going to bed. I have also found mint tea to help tramedously. Also a nice bath is very calming. One other thing is try and keep your thoughts to a minimum when you have already layed down, dont try to plan out tomorrow when you have gone to bed. It worked for me
sound advice on the sleep. thanks...
but wait, you're saying you had a average of 8 eggs and 1/2 gallon of milk per day and you didn't gain any significant fat??
Old 12-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #23
Randy Hill

Profile:

I gained a ton of muscle while deployed on minimal sleep, lots of interrupted sleep, and a ****ty diet with NO milk. I was worried about the same thing but I still ended up a solid 30 pounds heavier (that I needed.)
Old 12-23-2009, 01:19 AM   #24
Luke Hornblower

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
To me, this sounds like a sleep disorder (or one in the making) that needs to be addressed rather than being blown off as a fact of life.
The OP may want to try to get a psychiatrist to prescribe him Seroquel. I also had problems getting enough deep sleep. Seroquel drastically improved my sleep quality.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #25
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

I think the root cause is an oxygen issue. I may have a deviated septum or some other form of nasal blockage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
I gained a ton of muscle while deployed on minimal sleep, lots of interrupted sleep, and a ****ty diet with NO milk. I was worried about the same thing but I still ended up a solid 30 pounds heavier (that I needed.)
And you're a bit on the ectomorph side as well right? OK, this sounds promising..
Old 12-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #26
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

this may be a repost because I have to admit I didn't read the three pages of posts, but I think this article Ross Enamait wrote regarding stop whining about not sleeping enough is applicable, http://rosstraining.com/blog/2009/02...ith-a-newborn/ WFS