CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #31
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:
Re: Another CrossFit Rip Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dori Dickson View Post
Let me guess....your a little short....maybe medium height, kinda angry at the way you were treated in High School, having trouble with your female relationships and drive around looking for places to unleash your loneliness....or hostility???

All I know is my trainer is extremely focused, very carefull with what weight we use, watches over our form and keeps us motivated at a very high level. He cares for our diets as well as our workouts and I would not go anywhere else. Nor would anyone else who is there. I would think that would be an honor to CrossFit's name. By the way...he must have been inspiring you if you have been following his blog since he started it!
Nice, more attacking. You're going over really well here so far. Says a great deal about your own character as a person, which is really sad.

Regardless if your trainer is extremely focused, if he is going to call himself "CrossFit Auburn", he has to go through the right channels and be an affiliate. Do you think that your trainer would be able to get away with calling himself "Gold's Gym Auburn" or "24 Hour Fitness Auburn" or "LA Fitness Auburn"? How about "Starbucks Fitness Auburn"? Try it and see how long it takes before lawyers start suing for Intellectual Property Rights and Fraud start coming out of the woodwork. Companies and organizations that have built up their reputation don't want people misrepresenting them. What if your trainer caused someone injury? The person who got injured could easily believe that CrossFit HQ is also responsible for their injuries due to your trainer's mistakes.

Inspiring me? Hardly. I saw his URL on the free advertisement board at the local Fred Meyer and checked out the site. I noticed that the site was really plain (only posting WOD's, hardly any pics, no mention of actual participation in things like the CF Games with actual names of entrants, no trainer bios indicating certification or history, etc) and the address location looked all too familiar. A quick check on the affiliate list for Washington and an email to Affiliate Support confirmed my suspicions. Your trainer's misrepresentation of himself as an affiliate does a disservice to all of the other affiliates in the area.

Glassman has worked VERY hard in establishing the name of CrossFit. Regardless if you think it would be an honor to having it in the name of the gym you train at, you need to do what all the other affiliates have done and get certified.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #32
Jerod Egner

Profile:

Quote:
I just researched trademark and it is my understanding that he cannot use the name in resale. We do not sell merchandise or anything else. I could be wrong...
A service is being sold.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #33
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
The physical place looks like it's still under half-construction...with "FitnessRX" signs everywhere (the original business in the same area, a supplement store)...with Hammer Strength equipment...and a box of Honey Maid graham crackers next to a power drill...

SARCASM??? Slander?? just curious....
How is it slander? There were actual signs that said "FitnessRX" and Hammer Strength stationary equipment and an area that had a box of Honey Maid graham crackers next to a power drill in a dusty room that was still missing walls. It isn't slander if it's FACTUAL.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #34
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
How is it slander? There were actual signs that said "FitnessRX" and Hammer Strength stationary equipment and an area that had a box of Honey Maid graham crackers next to a power drill in a dusty room that was still missing walls. It isn't slander if it's FACTUAL.
besides...it's libel if it's written
Old 09-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #35
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
besides...it's libel if it's written
Good one!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #36
Dori Dickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Pitts View Post
Dori,
Please reread the acceptable use policy you agreed to when joining the board. Personal attacks, name calling, flaming, etc. are COMPLETELY unacceptable behavior.

First and only warning.

OKAY..okay, I named called....sorry! SORRY!!! I lost sight of what I was trying to really say by being sarcastic!
It is difficult when you find a place that takes you to a new level of fitness and the group of people that you are training with as well as the trainer themselves enlighten you and have someone use the name and "Libel" it. I have done gym training and had several friends do body building competitions and never had this. There is no resale...it is just a type of training that we are doing that all of you know makes us better in all aspects of life. Hope you all can forgive.....
Old 09-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #37
Dori Dickson

Profile:

[quote=Renee Lee;671126]from the FAQ:

9.17. If I do not want to affiliate but I am a certified CrossFit trainer, how can I use the name legally?

You can call yourself a CrossFit-certified trainer and say you use CrossFit methods.
You can state that you are CrossFit certified on your website and business cards.

Good news....
Old 09-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #38
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
OKAY..okay, I named called....sorry! SORRY!!! I lost sight of what I was trying to really say by being sarcastic!
It is difficult when you find a place that takes you to a new level of fitness and the group of people that you are training with as well as the trainer themselves enlighten you and have someone use the name and "Libel" it. I have done gym training and had several friends do body building competitions and never had this. There is no resale...it is just a type of training that we are doing that all of you know makes us better in all aspects of life. Hope you all can forgive.....
If the sorry was directed at me, apology accepted.

I'm sure that your trainer is doing a good job, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to defend your position as much as you have been. He just needs to make it nice and legal. Had he gotten permission to affiliate, this post wouldn't exist and I'd probably would have gone to your gym.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #39
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
There is no resale...it is just a type of training that we are doing that all of you know makes us better in all aspects of life. Hope you all can forgive.....
Are they charging for classes? If so, that would be covered. Great that you are passionate about your fitness instructors and workout, people here too are passionate about Crossfit. Many here invested a lot of time and money to be allowed to use the Crossfit name to promote their efforts, they don't want to see someone attempting to do the same thing without following the rules put forth by Crossfit.

Crossfit Affiliated FAQ
WFS