CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Kevin Mack

Profile:
Re: Another CrossFit Rip Off?

Looking at the creator bios, it appears to be a mixed bag. One guy is a former sprinter and powerlifter, which is very much in keeping with how we train here. The other guy is a former bodybuilder turned personal trainer, which is not much different from the average globo-trainer.

Still, they profess their mantra to be "get results" and while for many the desired result may be completely aesthetic, if they are going to live the mantra then they are doing what we do: selecting the most effective exercises for the intended goal and cutting out all the nonsense. Plus, getting fit leads to nice aesthetics, so I'm sure that to a certain extent, the opposite is also true. In their quest for nice beach muscles, some people may get fit and not even mean to.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #12
Pedro Nabais

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley Beann View Post
I donít believe you can really Rip off CrossFit unless you use the CrossFit name and specific girl-named workouts.
People were training hard with short, high intensity, group competitive workouts long before 'CrossFit' came about. CrossFit packaged its workouts into a sustainable, interesting format which gets people fit quickly. However, you cant say they 'Ripped off' Jack LaLanne because they added pushups into the workouts or encourage Paleo diets. If you see someone in the park doing pushups, pull-ups, sit-ups and squats, they are not doing "CrossFit", they are just doing basic calisthenics.
CrossFit type workouts are not a new thing. What is new is the Web-based Community and support system (gyms, message boards, Certifications...) that are the innovative part of CrossFit in general.
Yep, (un)fortunately no one can really register a patent on the movements a human body can perform....
Old 09-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley Beann View Post
I donít believe you can really Rip off CrossFit unless you use the CrossFit name and specific girl-named workouts.
People were training hard with short, high intensity, group competitive workouts long before 'CrossFit' came about. CrossFit packaged its workouts into a sustainable, interesting format which gets people fit quickly. However, you cant say they 'Ripped off' Jack LaLanne because they added pushups into the workouts or encourage Paleo diets. If you see someone in the park doing pushups, pull-ups, sit-ups and squats, they are not doing "CrossFit", they are just doing basic calisthenics.
CrossFit type workouts are not a new thing. What is new is the Web-based Community and support system (gyms, message boards, Certifications...) that are the innovative part of CrossFit in general.
Agreed. The movements and methodologies of CF are not original, and Coach makes no claim that they are. Thus, even if one is heavily inspired by CF, and even if they are specifically setting out to make a similar program to steal part of CF's marketshare, one cannot "rip off" CF unless they are violating trademark laws (using the CF name/logo, ect).

To say otherwise would be like saying that Chrysler was a "rip off" of
Ford because they made a similar product. It's not... in both cases it's competition, the heart of what makes america great.

Ultimately, if this new challenger is inferior to CF (a likely possibility), it will fail or at best take only a very small portion of the market. If it is as good or better (less likely but possible), CF would be forced to adapt and improve in order to remain competitive. This is a good thing. I am absolutely confident that CF is what it is today because Coach has adapted and improved the program many, many times to gain an edge over the competition... again, he has said so himself.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Nice flash-enabled site, but definitely not a rip-off. They've got Nautilus equipment used in their methods from what I'm seeing on the site.

Now these guys on the other hand are indeed frauds (yes, they are not a legit affiliate - I've checked).

Link is wfs.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #15
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
Now these guys on the other hand are indeed frauds (yes, they are not a legit affiliate - I've checked).

Link is wfs.
If it's true then you should contact HQ and they'll let the dogs loose on them. So to speak.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #16
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
If it's true then you should contact HQ and they'll let the dogs loose on them. So to speak.
Already did that, Lisbeth verified it for me when I contacted affiliate support a few days ago. I hope those guys at that pseudo-affiliate get theirs. They've been trying to advertise all around the local area, mostly seeing the advertisements on grocery store free-ad boards. The physical place looks like it's still under half-construction...with "FitnessRX" signs everywhere (the original business in the same area, a supplement store)...with Hammer Strength equipment...and a box of Honey Maid graham crackers next to a power drill...
Old 09-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #17
Artem Sivak

Profile:

The burpees are fake. They don't even do the pushup part. Lame.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Wow. Those HPCs with any weight will either whack his trachea or hyperextend his wrists. The barbell goes nowhere near his shoulders. Forget about ROM, what about just plain old safety???

One would think that with all the website bling that they could at least get some halfway decent or at least safe form on all of the movements.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
Joe Shininger

Profile:

That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I'd say we need to post some videos on youtube of some CF people doing these "hardcore" workouts, but their sh*tty videos won't even load.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #20
Dori Dickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
Already did that, Lisbeth verified it for me when I contacted affiliate support a few days ago. I hope those guys at that pseudo-affiliate get theirs. They've been trying to advertise all around the local area, mostly seeing the advertisements on grocery store free-ad boards. The physical place looks like it's still under half-construction...with "FitnessRX" signs everywhere (the original business in the same area, a supplement store)...with Hammer Strength equipment...and a box of Honey Maid graham crackers next to a power drill...
I can't convey in words as to how much CrossFit has benefited me and changed the way I train for so much the better!!! On behalf of the law enforcement and military community you are doing us all the greatest service in training us to be physically superior specimens!!!! I am doing the best I can to spread the word!!
Thank You and Semper Fi,

- John J. King

That quote is a reminder of what it is that we are all trying to acheive. It is interesting to me that there would even be a thread called "Another Crossfit Rip Off?" Can you really RIP OFF something that stands for human health and well being, strength, endurance, speed, agility, flexibility, balance and everything that makes us become everything we are capable of being. I am in love with the community of crossfit. I am striving to become something I would have never been without it. I work with an elite team of people to achieve this and together we push eachother and grow in a way that no other type of fitness has taught us or made us. I hope that the "Haters" (for whatever reason you may be hatin!) take a moment to realize that it does not matter what "THE DOGS" say about it. If you are a true athelite and have a true desire to change the way you once saw fitness then you can CROSSFIT anywhere in any gym, with any kind of equipment you can find!

By the way, I am coached and trained by the guy called a "globo gym trainer" I would never feel the way I do about crossfit without him and his true knowledge of the hard work and progression that it takes to achieve my goals. I can only hope that many others find a gym with grahm crackers and power drills! Good Luck Jonathan Yoon.....sounds like your just another MEAT HEAD!