CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Noah Martin

Profile:
Olympic Lifting Cert or Level 1 Cert?

So I've been crossfitting since Sept 08 and finally have a few certs coming which I can possibly attend.

Ideally I'd like to attend both but can't put out the cost for both certs plus some equipment I've got on my radar over the next year like C2 Rower, another set of bumpers for the garage where I work out, dynamax balls etc...

I'm curious what Crossfitters think is the best choice here?

A level 1 Cert or an Olympic Lifting Cert (with the great Josh Everett I might add)

Or I could pass on both and buy the rower and other equipment we need....

Thoughts?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Olympic Lifting Cert or Level 1 Cert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Martin View Post
So I've been CrossFitting since Sept 08 and finally have a few certs coming which I can possibly attend.

Ideally I'd like to attend both but can't put out the cost for both certs plus some equipment I've got on my radar over the next year like C2 Rower, another set of bumpers for the garage where I work out, dynamax balls etc...

I'm curious what CrossFitters think is the best choice here?

A level 1 Cert or an Olympic Lifting Cert (with the great Josh Everett I might add)

Or I could pass on both and buy the rower and other equipment we need....

Thoughts?
Easy question. Which course of action will be the most effective in helping you achieve your goals?
So, what is your goal?

Become a Level 1 Cert instructor. Become a O lifting Cert instructor? Add some equipment?

Pick one, do it.

Asking your question with out stating your priorities or goals will generate numerous replies. You hold the answer and the question.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
Noah Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Easy question. Which course of action will be the most effective in helping you achieve your goals?
So, what is your goal?

Become a Level 1 Cert instructor. Become a O lifting Cert instructor? Add some equipment?

Pick one, do it.

Asking your question with out stating your priorities or goals will generate numerous replies. You hold the answer and the question.

Well not sure it's that clear cut..besides buying equipment.

Teaching O Lifting? No. But becoming a better lifting and improving my craft at the same time, while also being able to help others I train with, sure. But most importantly, become a better lifter for me - ie. better workouts and better strength.

The Level 1 Cert - to become more involved in the CF Community. Learn more from the roots, the basics and all a level 1 has to offer. Sure, we talk about opening an affiliate but that's a ways away I think.

Equipment - Well, can always use more equipment.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

If you are on the fence, I'd do Level 1. We worked on the Snatch (Whooohooo!), among other things. It was a great experience.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Martin View Post
Well not sure it's that clear cut..besides buying equipment.

Teaching O Lifting? No. But becoming a better lifting and improving my craft at the same time, while also being able to help others I train with, sure. But most importantly, become a better lifter for me - ie. better workouts and better strength.

The Level 1 Cert - to become more involved in the CF Community. Learn more from the roots, the basics and all a level 1 has to offer. Sure, we talk about opening an affiliate but that's a ways away I think.

Equipment - Well, can always use more equipment.
Noah, great answer. Do all three as they seem of equal importance. OH, you can't do all three, then pick one!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If you don't know jack about O-lifting or want to, go for the O-lift cert. If you really need the equipment, get the rowers and subscribe to the CFJ.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Noah Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
If you don't know jack about O-lifting or want to, go for the O-lift cert. If you really need the equipment, get the rowers and subscribe to the CFJ.
Already a journal member.
I know about o-lifting but I'm sure the training at a cert would blow me away.

Leaning towards the o-cert and maybe getting the rower :-)
Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

As another person that trains at home I would favor the oly cert and getting some equipment.

Personally that is what I have done. A level 1 cost is rather prohibitive and you can get most the material, or at least a summary of it online. The specialty certs will give a much more in depth look at whatever specialty that is as well as cost a fraction the price, which allows you to get some equipment.

I still plan on getting a lvl 1 some day, but the cost is just too much to swallow for now. Instead I have a very well outfitted gym and have gotten a Basic Barbel and Nutrition cert for less than the price of the lvl 1.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
Josh Bell

Profile:

Noah,

I have not been to a level I or an oly lifting cert so I can't compare the two. But what I can tell you is the training you will get from Coach Bergener and his staff will blow the roof of your Oly lifting. I work for Coach Josh Everett and can attest to the caliber of training he can provide by the improvements I have made and the athletes he coaches.