CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Kevin Thomas

Profile:
Re: 200 yard swim

Are you saying you plan to do the CSS instead of freestyle in the test? That doesn't seem like a good idea to me, especially if you haven't proven to yourself you can make a passing time. Freestyle is the fastest way to get from Point A to Point B.

How are your flip turns? You should be able to pick up a few seconds with an improved flip turn.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

If I were you I'd swim and do hard cardio. Like rowing sprint intervals, etc.

Try the 200 yard swim under the exact test conditions. Then you'll know exactly where you are at and how much you need to improve.

Get out to the pool and practice, don't put it off.

Last edited by Jason Lopez-Ota : 04-10-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #13
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Are you saying you plan to do the CSS instead of freestyle in the test? That doesn't seem like a good idea to me, especially if you haven't proven to yourself you can make a passing time. Freestyle is the fastest way to get from Point A to Point B.

How are your flip turns? You should be able to pick up a few seconds with an improved flip turn.
I guess the reason I was thinking about doing the CSS is because I dont feel I'm that good at freestyle. But I guess I'll have to see what my time is when doing freestyle and go from there.

Haven't tried flip turns with the CSS. I'm going to try and get into the pool on Sunday (I only have access to a pool on T/W/Th as those are the days I'm at school). This week and next I have the Red Cross certification so I'll be able to get into the pool more often.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

I'm getting a swim lesson next week from a lady friend who was on the UIC swim team so hopefully that should help me out a bit.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #15
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Unless you're an awesome CSS swimmer and a bad freestyle swimmer you'll be faster freestyle at least until you tire. 200M is short I would swim FS.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
I did a navy seal fitness challenge this past September and swam 950 yards in 10:30.
If you can do that you should be ok.

If you cannot make the intervals I provided you then adjust them accordingly to a time you can make.

The workout IS a sprint workout. Every one of those 50s 100s and 200s should be swam at a fairly fast pace, hence the time interval being fairly quick. It is an ultra basic program and far from the best one out there, but it will work for your purpose.

If you plan on being a life guard doing that workout twice a week will provide a good foundation. If that much swimming causes your form to break down... then it is a good time to work on form while you are tired
Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Robert,

I didn't swim 950 yd. in 10:30. I swam 500 in 10:30.

I like your reasoning behind the workout, I'm just gonna scale it a bit and work my way up until I can do it fully.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:22 AM   #18
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Jakub,

I am interested in the sub surface swim. You mentioned some side stroke when I brought it up earlier. I am not sure what a combat side stroke is, but while I was going through CDQC training, the sub surface swim was one of the harder test you had to pass. One breath, 50m, long breast strokes?

How much do you train for these, or do they come easy?
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #19
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Harley,
The difference between the 25 and 50M underwater swim is immeasurable. I can do 25 without thinking about it, but the 50 stil gives me nightmares.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #20
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
Jakub,

I am interested in the sub surface swim. You mentioned some side stroke when I brought it up earlier. I am not sure what a combat side stroke is, but while I was going through CDQC training, the sub surface swim was one of the harder test you had to pass. One breath, 50m, long breast strokes?

How much do you train for these, or do they come easy?
Ok I was confused by your earlier post, you are referring to the underwater 25m swim. To be honest I have not trained for it at all and they are NOT easy for me. I figure I'm just gonna try them a few times before every swim workout I do. Do you have a better way of preparing for the sub surface swim?