CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Joe Johnstone

Profile:
Question for flat footed CFers

Do those of you who wear orthotics in your regular shoes wear them in your weightlifting shoes (Do-Wins, Adidas, VS, etc) or flat-soled shoes (Chucks, Puma H-Street, etc.)?

I normally wear orthotics in my regular footwear, but I've been lifting barefoot recently, and just got some weightlifting shoes, and wondering if I should be using the orthotics.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Question for flat footed CFers

Do what's comfortable/pain free for you.

I have nearly flat feet. I've never used orthotics.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I have them to help with over pronation.
I wear them daily in my shoes.
I wear them in my Frees for metcon WODs and in my running shoes.
However, I do not wear them in my weightlifting shoes (Do-Wins).
Old 04-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Gabriel Goodwin

Profile:

I have flat feet and wear my orthotics in my running shoes for every workout. I don't own weightlifting shoes though, so I'm not sure how that would work.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
Ron Gaza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnstone View Post
Do those of you who wear orthotics in your regular shoes wear them in your weightlifting shoes (Do-Wins, Adidas, VS, etc) or flat-soled shoes (Chucks, Puma H-Street, etc.)?

I normally wear orthotics in my regular footwear, but I've been lifting barefoot recently, and just got some weightlifting shoes, and wondering if I should be using the orthotics.
I've got flat feet as well but over at CF Endurance they mentioned that using orthotics will just make your flat feet worse. I think one guy in a video said that doing the POSE method actually created an arch in his foot.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:

i have fallen arches but i have never worn orthotics. i was fascinated by some of Brian Mckenzie's comments when he appeared on Crossfit radio a while back. he said that he generally is not a big supporter of orthotics and that he generally recommends specific exercises to strengthen the feet. i believe this includes lifting barefoot as well as exercises such as using your toes to pick up objects and to scrunch up a towel.

the most remarkable things he talked about was one of his clients that actually rebuilt his arches through these types of exercises.

i'm not sure what this means for weightlifting shoes, but I thought it was interesting.

i must have been typing while ron was posting...

Last edited by Benjamin Goodale : 04-03-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

I use Superfeet greens in my day-to-day work boots and rucking boots. I switched from Nike Free 3.0s to Puma Salohs for running in. And I haven't used any orthotic in my weightlifting shoes (Toronto weightlifting). I think that for running you should consider some support if your volume gets too high. I'm generally supportive of the idea that barefoot everything is good for you.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

wfs

Exercises for "rebuilding" the bottom muscles of the plantar aspect of the foot (even though they're in a plantar fasciitis thread):
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showpo...2&postcount=29

Other article about flat feet:
http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/...b_FlatFeet.pdf

I would personally get a gait analysis done (by a competent professional) to see if your flat footed problem originates at the HIP or the ANKLE.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Rayna McGinnis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
I use Superfeet greens in my day-to-day work boots and rucking boots. I switched from Nike Free 3.0s to Puma Salohs for running in. And I haven't used any orthotic in my weightlifting shoes (Toronto weightlifting). I think that for running you should consider some support if your volume gets too high. I'm generally supportive of the idea that barefoot everything is good for you.
Also a big fan of superfeet. I don't have specific weight lifting shoes though. I usually just use my weight lifting shoes and go barefoot for dead lifts and the like.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post

wfs

Exercises for "rebuilding" the bottom muscles of the plantar aspect of the foot (even though they're in a plantar fasciitis thread):
http://www.board.CrossFit.com/showpo...2&postcount=29

Other article about flat feet:
http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/...b_FlatFeet.pdf

I would personally get a gait analysis done (by a competent professional) to see if your flat footed problem originates at the HIP or the ANKLE.
The second link has been key to rehabbing my feet. I have fallen arches on both feet and my left became worse after I tore my calf last September.

I read the article in the link and it had a number of exercise carried out while flexing the big toe. I found to my dismay that I couldn't independently flex the big toe. The nerves were switched off.

I had worn off the shelves orthotics for the last 18 moths. Initially just in my fencing shoes, then in my training shoes and then in my work and casual shoes. While the orthotics initially helped with knee pain they actually may my arches weaker.

In the last three months I've weaned myself off orthotics and only wear them in my fencing shoes. I've been doing a number of feet strengthening exercises as well as doing some SMR on the soles of the feet with a tennis ball. I can now flex the big toe repeatedly without my instep cramping. I've also combined that with some hip and ankle strengthening and mobility work. I'm experiencing less hip and knee pain.

On a related know does anyone have any experience with postural insoles?